AnsweredAssumed Answered

PPM Time Reporting Periods

Question asked by whole_milk on Dec 8, 2014
Latest reply on Dec 26, 2014 by whole_milk

Many companies structure their time periods to always end at the calendar month end, so that they can do month end closing. For example:

December, if time period structure is Monday to Sunday:

Dec 1 - Dec 7

Dec 8 - Dec 14

Dec 15 - Dec 21

Dec 22 - Dec 31

And Jan goes like :

Jan 1 - 11

Jan 12 - Jan 18

Jan 19 - Jan 25

Jan 26 - Jan 31

So, for the days in the middle of the month, we have regular monday to sunday weeks.

However, at the beginning to the end, there are variable weeks, more than 7 and less than 7 to take care of month end closing.

While this is easy to manage for closing, it becomes a reporting burden with variable weeks. Weekly time slices are not reliable as depending on the size of the time period, the numbers are higher or lower. So it becomes difficult to do weekly resource forecasting, given that resources enter weekly time and weekly time is always in flux. We can have them do daily or monthly periods for forecasting, but the current month will always be in limbo.

So, there is a drive in my company, recommended by me, to push towards true 7 day weeks, irrespective of how they run into months, like it used to be back in the niku days. This way, the number of days in a week is always 7 and it's easy to do reporting and forecasting. For month end closing, we can always assume the last business friday as the end of the month, even if it falls on the 27th, so that the remaining days will cut over to the next month.

Anyone sees any downsides to my recommendation?? I would love to hear your ideas on pros and cons for either side of the fence - variable weeks versus fixed weeks.

Just trying to understand other installation perspectives. Thank you!!!

Outcomes