DX NetOps

• 1.  Custom Device Families in Spectrum NCM

Posted Jan 16, 2015 05:05 PM

I am going through the NCM Guide and I have created a custom device family in NCM and I have placed a Cisco router in that family. Because our routers only allow SSH access I have to use SSH/SCP in Spectrum to backup the startup-config or at least that's what I want to do.  On page 62 of the NCM guide it states, " CA Spectrum's out-of-the-box scripts-based support for Network Configuration Manager

operations is based on the Net::Telnet module. If you want to use SSH-based scripts for

Network Configuration Manager operations:

Linux — You must install perl to a separate location on your system and configure

CA Spectrum to use that perl.

I am guessing that this is why I get this error message when I attempt to capture the start-up config.

Screenshot from 2015-01-16 16:52:37.png

Does anyone have any guidance on creating a custom device family and configuring NCM to use SSH/SCP to download the Cisco config of the device in that custom device family.

• 2.  Re: Custom Device Families in Spectrum NCM

Posted Jan 17, 2015 09:56 AM

Why is NCM telling me that I must have a script configured for the device family when I already have one?Screenshot from 2015-01-17 09:49:08.png

If one creates a custom device family in NCM does one also have to create a new perl script for NCM to use to backup the start-up or running configuration of a device in that family.  I am trying to backup the start-up config of a Cisco router using the default scripts.  The only caveat is that NCM uses SSH/SCP to backup the router's startup-config.

Screenshot from 2015-01-17 09:53:43.png

• 3.  Re: Custom Device Families in Spectrum NCM

Posted Jan 29, 2015 05:38 AM

Hello opnet,

as far as I understand, you actually don't need to create a custom device family for your use case.

The out-of-the-box family "Cisco IOS - SSH Capable" supports 3 communications methods right away.

You can choose among those 3 on family as well as on device level.

The picture below shows the setting on device level in section "Network Configuration Manager".

Spectrum_NCM_Cisco_IOS_SSH.png

Of course you need to take care for ssh/scp settings on the routers/switches (e.g. "ip scp server enable").

regards,
    Raphael

• 4.  Re: Custom Device Families in Spectrum NCM

Posted Jan 29, 2015 11:55 AM

Hi opnet,

Probably "Net::SSH" and "Net::SSH::Expect" are not present on landscape where device is modeled.

Follow below error caused passing an incorrect module name to the command "perl -e "use Net::SSH::Expect"

perl -e "use Net::SSH::Expec"

Can't locate Net/SSH/Expec.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib                                               /perl5/site_perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.8/x86_64-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/per                                               l5/vendor_perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib64/perl5/5.8.8/x86_64-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.8 .)                                                at -e line 1.

BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at -e line 1.

Read "Network Configuration Manager User Guide" Chapter 2: Network Configuration Manager Configurations / Perl Modules (page 62).

Perl Modules

CA Spectrum ships all Perl Modules (for the Windows/Solaris platforms) required to run the Perl scripts that are provided out-of-box. That includes:

■ Net::Telnet

In addition, CA Spectrum also comes with certain perl modules that may be useful in developing scripts for the Extension Utility. These include:

■ Net::SSH

■ Net::SSH::Expect

Network Configuration Manager Extension Utility

Chapter 2: Network Configuration Manager Configurations 63

■ Expect

■ Net::TFTP

■ Net::SCP

■ Net::FTP

Perl modules that ship with CA Spectrum can be viewed at:

/opt/SPECTRUM/lib/perl5

Important! Perl modules not compiled and installed correctly may result in failure or other undesirable behavior.

• 5.  Re: Custom Device Families in Spectrum NCM

Posted Mar 02, 2015 06:31 PM

It appears that in the /opt/SPECTRUM/lib/perl/Net folder the only perl module I have is Telnet

[root@cor-spc-1 /]# cd /opt/SPECTRUM/lib/perl/Net

[root@cor-spc-1 Net]# ls

Telnet.pm

It would appear that I am missing the other perl modules which bring my question as to why and should I just go ahead and manually install them

FYI: There is no /opt/SPECTRUM/lib/perl5 directory

• 6.  Re: Custom Device Families in Spectrum NCM

Posted Jan 05, 2017 03:51 AM

Hi, I have found that we have encountered the same issue on our environment, were you able to get to the bottom of this issue? and if so could you please share.

Many Thanks.