Clarity

• 1.  Impact in Changing Calendar - No difference in calendars

Posted Feb 03, 2015 11:40 AM

If we change from calendar A to calendar B (both being same - workdays / non-workdays wise), would it have any major impact ?

The reason I ask this is 'cause calendar changes (as I've been informed) should be done over non-peak hours.

NJ

• 2.  Re: Impact in Changing Calendar - No difference in calendars

Posted Feb 03, 2015 11:55 AM

It would trigger a whole lot of re-slicing to happen (for no functional change whatsoever) - hence "do it out of hours if you are doing it for a lot of resources".

i.e. time slicing is not clever enough to know that the detail of a record has changed, it just knows that the record has been updated.

• 3.  Re: Impact in Changing Calendar - No difference in calendars

Posted Feb 03, 2015 01:44 PM

Tend to think that is the conclusive answer.

• 4.  Re: Impact in Changing Calendar - No difference in calendars

Posted Feb 04, 2015 12:48 AM

Thanks Dave, for confirming

"do it out of hours if you are doing it for a lot of resources". - Sorry, my bad, I would have added some more detail when I said - "If we change from calendar A to calendar B (both being same - workdays / non-workdays wise), would it have any major impact ?"

We would want to update the Standard calendar as Standard, instead of Calendar A - from Administration > Base Calendars

Right now, Calendar A is marked as standard, and there is no difference in Calendar A and the Standard calendar

NJ

• 5.  Re: Impact in Changing Calendar - No difference in calendars
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 04, 2015 03:40 AM

^ yes that is what I understood you wanted.

If you change a single RESOURCE's calendar then there is some reslicing to do.

If you change a number of RESOURCE's calendars then there is lots of reslicing to do.

If you change the base CALENDAR (either change the calendar to another one, or just amend some detail of the existing calendar  (eg add a national holiday)) that lots of your resources inherit, then there is a huge amount of re-slicing to do.

• 6.  Re: Impact in Changing Calendar - No difference in calendars

Posted Feb 04, 2015 04:09 AM

ahhh ...

"If you change the base CALENDAR (either change the calendar to another one, or just amend some detail of the existing calendar  (eg add a national holiday)) that lots of your resources inherit, then there is a huge amount of re-slicing to do." -

even if both the calendars are exactly the same ?

I guess, your response would be the same - "i.e. time slicing is not clever enough to know that the detail of a record has changed, it just knows that the record has been updated."

NJ