Layer7 API Management

• 1.  Has anyone used the AV assertion with ICAP ?

Posted Feb 24, 2015 04:44 AM

The documentation is quite light on how to make use of the AV assertion.

I have a requirement to integrate with an existing mcAfee AV suite over ICAP.

The docs and assertion UI seem to suggest that a MIME message is expected, however there appears to be no way to actually CREATE a MIME message within the product ?

My use case is that I will have messages coming in via XML and JSON. These will have a base64 encoded element which is a document. The customer wishes these documents to be scanned for viruses.

IF the assertion requires the message to be converted into a multipart MIME form submit type POST, then how can this be done ?

Or am I supposed to construct a proxy type request, where the user is downloading a file ? In which case I am constructing some sort of GET with a binary payload (of the document) and passing this request to the assertion ?

• 2.  Re: Has anyone used the AV assertion with ICAP ?

Posted Feb 25, 2015 05:31 AM

Hi Stuart

The ICAP assertion will pass a message, either the request or an alternative context variable, to the ICAP server.  The AV server might be able to decode the base64 but if not then the policy can be used to decode it first and then pass it via a context variable message to the ICAP assertion. I've not tried the multipart MIME, do you have an example?

Chris