IDMS

• 1.  CA Tuesday Tip: (CA IDMS) How can I clear old queues in the DDLDCRUN area?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 25, 2015 12:40 AM

CA IDMS Tuesday Tip by Edward Gorga, Principal Support Engineer for February 25, 2015

The QUED task normally runs at startup and deletes any expired queues but you can run the QUED task at any time. A queue with a retention period of 255 means it is permanent and will never be deleted.

Invoking QUED with no parameters will list all currently active queues and deletes all expired queues.

Invoming QUED PROMPT will list all unexpired queues one by one, and asks you if they should be deleted.

An alternative is to get a list of all unexpired queues with QUED or DCMT D QUEUE and then delete the ones you don't want with DCMT V QUEUE 'nnnnnnnnnnnnnn' DEL

Note that system queues start with RHDC (timer task, reports). ADSC queues start with $ADC, MAPC with $MPC, ADSA with $ADA, TCF with TCF and DME with DME_

The queues created by ADSC, ADSA and MAPC are created when they the entity is checked out. The queue record also stores changes made to the entity.

When compiled the queue record is deleted. If released without compiling the queue record will remain if it contains changes and deleted if not changes were made.

If you delete the queue the dialog and map will still be in the dictionary and in the load module but you will lose whatever changes are stored in the queue record.

• 2.  Re: CA Tuesday Tip: (CA IDMS) How can I clear old queues in the DDCLDCRUN area?

Posted Feb 27, 2015 07:11 PM

format area system.ddldcrun ???

• 3.  Re: CA Tuesday Tip: (CA IDMS) How can I clear old queues in the DDCLDCRUN area?

Posted Feb 28, 2015 07:14 PM

Sledgehammer to shell a peanut! But it works - as long as there is no application data out there that you might want to preserve! Cheers - GaryC

• 4.  Re: CA Tuesday Tip: (CA IDMS) How can I clear old queues in the DDCLDCRUN area?

Posted Feb 28, 2015 07:42 PM

Uhhhhhhh . it WAS intended to be facetious

Chris hoelscher

Technology Architect | Database Infrastructure Services

Technology Solution Services

123 East Main Street |Louisville, KY 40202

choelscher@humana.com<mailto:choelscher@humana.com>

Humana.com

(502) 476-2538 – office

(502) 714-8615 – blackberry

HumanaVitality LEAD STATUS[Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: Description: PlatinumAndroid]

• 5.  Re: CA Tuesday Tip: (CA IDMS) How can I clear old queues in the DDLDCRUN area?

Posted Mar 05, 2015 10:02 AM

I spent time at too many places where "format" was the solution provided by the DBA - regardless of application implications!

Sorry I missed the humour - but I do see the brighter side of life - now!

Cheers - GaryC

• 6.  Re: CA Tuesday Tip: (CA IDMS) How can I clear old queues in the DDLDCRUN area?

Posted Mar 05, 2015 10:12 AM

JTS developed a suite of tools that analyses the Queue area contents - and then reports on "exceptions" (very large queues in particular) - and generates the DCMT V QUEUE 'xxxxx' DEL syntax. It differentiated between "system" queues for the development tools and application queues. Development tool queues for checkouts were always deleted if over a certain age - the application queues which met the "I should be deleted" criteria were reviewed first - and the generated syntax was edited before being applied.

The toolkit also provided for extracting and restoring all or individual Queues - so that if the Queue area ever did require formatting the Queues could be preserved independently of IDMS utilities - which would normally perpetuate any issues tat were being "fixed" by taking the "format" route for a given problem situation.

Oh, BTW, the development tool Queues include "indexes" into checkouts for mapping and ADS compilers, these indexes fix themselves if you delete the "checkout" queues - or rebuild themselves if you delete the index itself. It is all pretty robust - which is nice to know!

Cheers - GaryC

• 7.  Re: CA Tuesday Tip: (CA IDMS) How can I clear old queues in the DDLDCRUN area?

Posted Mar 05, 2015 10:15 AM

Okay Gary, you’ve tempted us with the tool kit, how can we IDMS DBAs get a copy of it?

Charles (Chuck) Hardee

Senior Systems Engineer/Database Administration

EAS Information Technology

Thermo Fisher Scientific

300 Industry Drive | Pittsburgh, PA 15275

Phone +1 (724) 517-2633 | Mobile +1 (412) 877-2809 | FAX: +1 (412) 490-9230

Chuck.Hardee@ThermoFisher.com | www.thermofisher.com

WORLDWIDE CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: Dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient, or an employee or agent of a system responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the sender and delete all copies.