DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  Automatic unmounting of agent fails

Posted Feb 25, 2015 09:15 AM
      |   view attached

Hi all!

I´m having issues with the automatic unmounting process of agent in some of the agents in my monitored environment.

First of all, I´m using an stand-alone APM, v 9.5.0, OS RHEL 6.x  running in a VM.  The HW was sized using the template and there is no performance issue. /data and /traces are located in a disk that has needed I/O speeds.

The issue appear when the apps that contains the agents are recycled every day at midnight. APM see that changes and In some point of the process , It creates a duplicated agent for the same app adding the famous %1. I think that It has delay to process the disconnection of the agent and when the app comes up again, EM thinks that  the agent  is still connected  and that´s why creates this duplicated agent (name).

Ok,we can avoid this duplication process and let EM work . After 60 minutes, EM realize that the agent NN%1 has no data and make the tent of disconnection. But, this process fails as you can see in the logs:

1/14/15 11:05:13.211 AM ART [INFO] [TimerBean] [Manager.Agent] Automatic unmounting of Agent "xxxxxxxxxx||Tomcat|WS2_TRACK_PRD%1" aborted. Agent is still connected.

1/14/15 11:06:13.211 AM ART [INFO] [TimerBean] [Manager.Agent] Automatically unmounting Agent "xxxxxxxxxx||Tomcat|WS2_TRACK_PRD%1" after no communication for 60 minute(s).

1/14/15 11:06:13.211 AM ART [INFO] [TimerBean] [Manager.Agent] Automatic unmounting of Agent "xxxxxxxxxx||Tomcat|WS2_TRACK_PRD%1" aborted. Agent is still connected.

1/14/15 11:07:13.210 AM ART [INFO] [TimerBean] [Manager.Agent] Automatically unmounting Agent "xxxxxxxxxx||Tomcat|WS2_TRACK_PRD%1" after no communication for 60 minute(s).

1/14/15 11:07:13.210 AM ART [INFO] [TimerBean] [Manager.Agent] Automatic unmounting of Agent "xxxxxxxxxx||Tomcat|WS2_TRACK_PRD%1" aborted. Agent is still connected.

1/14/15 11:08:13.210 AM ART [INFO] [TimerBean] [Manager.Agent] Automatically unmounting Agent "xxxxxxxxxx||Tomcat|WS2_TRACK_PRD%1" after no communication for 60 minute(s).

1/14/15 11:08:13.210 AM ART [INFO] [TimerBean] [Manager.Agent] Automatic unmounting of Agent "xxxxxxxxxx|Tomcat|WS2_TRACK_PRD%1" aborted. Agent is still connected.

So, EM cannot unmount the agent and the process fails. The problem is that it starts to fill the log with this line every minute (because of the configuration given in the .properties file).

I make the probe to unmount from the workstation, but I receive the error: "Unmount of the *** agent failed: unknown error". And that´s why EM thinks that the agent is still connected

The only way that I have to solve this is to restart the EM. But really, I dont want to make this anymore and try to find where is the problem.

Here is the point that I need your help to resolve this issue.

Thanks,

Flo

Attachment(s)

• 2.  Re: Automatic unmounting of agent fails
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 25, 2015 05:09 PM

Hi Flo,

There is a known problem with duplicate agent names in 9.5.x causing the % suffix addition, so that may well be the root cause of your problems.

From what I see there is a hot fix available for 9.5.0 but it is also fixed in APM 9.6 & 9.7 so if you are thinking about an upgrade soon you should pick up the fix then.

It is documented as problem #287163 in the 9.6 Release Notes Fixed Issues list

https://wiki.ca.com/display/APMDEVOPS96/Fixed+Issues+--+9.6.1%2C+9.6.0

If your problem is still not resolved after upgrade then I would advise to raise a Support case so we can investigate further.

(If you want the 9.5.0.0 Hot Fix please raise a Support case & refer to above problem & and also problem #299005, which is specific to 9.5.0.0)

Hope this helps

Lynn

• 3.  Re: Automatic unmounting of agent fails

Posted Mar 02, 2015 10:01 AM

Thanks for your feedback Lynn. We will try to apply the hot fix.

Thanks again!

Regards

Flo