DX Application Performance Management

• 1.  SysEDG Process Monitoring

Posted Mar 05, 2015 12:27 PM

Hi All,

I have small bug which I am struggling to understand, I am trying to monitor a process and for some reason the SysEDGE agent is constantly reporting a NotReady state for this watch even though it exists in the proc table.

The line from SysEDGE.cf is:

watch process procAlive 'era' 13 0x10 30 absolute = 4 'Era Process' '' 'Process' 'era' 'Alive' critical

The only observation that I can make is we are monitoring a very similar process called "erasrv" which may be causing conflict as begin with the same characters. Does any body have any idea?

Apologies if this is something obvious, I am very new to Spectrum and SysEDGE.

Thanks

• 2.  Re: SysEDG Process Monitoring

Posted Mar 05, 2015 12:49 PM

Any specific reason to monitor in System edge?

Try to monitor in Spectrum RFC

System->Running and monitored process ->RFC

• 3.  Re: SysEDG Process Monitoring

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 05, 2015 01:00 PM

SystemEdge will monitor locally at a faster interval and trap when there is an issue. Spectrum with rfc2790 is based on a polling interval. You can also have corrective actions (restart process, etc.) with SystemEdge.

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone.

• 4.  Re: SysEDG Process Monitoring

Posted Mar 05, 2015 01:13 PM

Yes, the reason which Robert has mentioned is the main reasons we are monitoring locally on the device. Also, it is less intensive for the spectrum server as we have over 29K devices. Also, we prefer to insert some call back function to automate resolution if possible.

Does any one have any idea why it is not working?

• 5.  Re: SysEDG Process Monitoring

Posted Mar 05, 2015 01:21 PM

delete the  .mon file in systemedge and restart the agent .once it is done add the process to monitoring

• 6.  Re: SysEDG Process Monitoring

Posted Mar 05, 2015 04:38 PM

Hi Issac,

Many thanks for your response, I have tried the above before as I have encountered issues with .mon after removing items from SysEDGE. I have never been able to get SysEDG to accurately see the process as active very strange and we are using the same logic for many processes which is odd.

Thanks

• 7.  Re: SysEDG Process Monitoring
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 05, 2015 01:20 PM

I believe the problem is as you suspected.  I think the regular expression needs to make a unique match for the process you are looking to monitor.  We usually get the "NotReady" state when we aren't able to accurately match the process name.  You may need to include process arguments to make it unique as well.

Hope that helps.

Steve Moore

• 8.  Re: SysEDG Process Monitoring

Posted Mar 05, 2015 04:39 PM

Hi Steve,

I'll give this a try, I was hoping to avoid this as you not believe the size of arguments... I'm hoping that maybe we can use a regexp on this field too. I'll give it a go and feed back the result.

Many thanks,

Thomas

• 9.  Re: SysEDG Process Monitoring

Posted Mar 05, 2015 04:47 PM

You can use regular expression for the arguments.

Good Luck.

Steve

• 10.  Re: SysEDG Process Monitoring

Posted Mar 06, 2015 07:43 AM

Hi Steve/All,

Just to let you know, monitoring with arguments was the solution.

Many thanks for the help on this one.

Thomas