DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  question about how the lua extensions interact with the nas

Posted Apr 01, 2009 02:38 PM

Basically what I am trying to understand is how functions like assign.user() interact with the alarm queue. From my experimentation what I think is happening is assign.user() is injecting a request into the nas queue that the nas processes in it's own good time. What I had hoped for was that the opeation would happen synchronously in cases of functions that modified the queue...

The reason it causes me some level of grief is I am having problems with a lua script that has the role of assigning users based on various alarm criteria. This script has fall through statement to handle alarms that did not meet any of the prior assignement criteria. What seems to happen is alarms randomly hit the fall through condition. Dropping in some debug statements led me to the conclusion that the functions that modify alarm queue entries are asynchronous.

If this is the way it's operating I'm not sure what to do since even setting up specific ordering in my lua scripts won't provide me with any guarantees of consistency of the alarm queue with respect to modifications made by a higher priority lua script.

--Dave P.

• 2.  question about how the lua extensions interact with the nas

Posted Apr 01, 2009 02:45 PM
    One more question. I have seen reference to a white paper on the LUA extensions in some of the forum posts. I have been unable to locate this document in any of the download or archive links. If someone could point me to it's location I would appreciate the info.

• 3.  question about how the lua extensions interact with the nas

Posted Apr 01, 2009 09:50 PM
    You are correct in your observations regarding the auto-operator.  Most operations on alarms regarding database updates are performed in a asynchronous manner. This is done to maintain the highest insert rates possible.  The action.assign request from lua will inject a request in the database workqueue (not the alarm queue) and can be superceeded with a request on the same message-id.

You can find the lua extentions in the NAS whitepaper from:

Self-service Center -> Find Solutions -> search criteria "whitepaper"

• 4.  question about how the lua extensions interact with the nas

Posted Apr 02, 2009 07:38 AM

Thanks for the whitepaper link. I guess I'll rework these scripts to not expect operations from prior scripts and script runs have completed.