AnsweredAssumed Answered

Enabling Liferay Webcontent Display portlet - How To?

Question asked by a.pietersen on Jan 7, 2013
Latest reply on Jan 11, 2013 by a.pietersen

From the start of UMP I have been posting issues about a way to enable the standard Liferay webcontent (CMS) features in UMP. Unfortunately never had a response (or explanation or reason) from productmanagement why they keep leave out these very powerful and handy portlets that are standard in Liferay. Instead UMP productmanagement persist in adding collaboration portlets that were are very appreciated as I understand the responses on all my post over the years. Also features-request were neither successful sofar.

Instead we were forced to seek for a work-around and it appears to be possible to cerate html-files under the C:\Program Files (x86)\Nimsoft\probes\service\wasp\webapps\ROOT\html\common  directory. Not an elegant way to do but it worked.

Now after a new attempt to solve this issue, based on a tip of Les Hull in a private message, here is a solution that seems to work. Not found earlier on the forum as far as I know and I am testing it now - so far so good. We have UMP 6.0 running and I hope it will works also with future UMP versions.

1) go to the UMP server and look for the file liferay-display.xml  (can be found under C:\Program Files (x86)\Nimsoft\probes\service\wasp\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\liferay-display.xml)

2) open this file for editing and look for the lines: (on the top of the file)

<!-- <category name="category.cms"> <portlet id="20" /> <portlet id="31" /> <portlet id="56" /> <portlet id="59" /> <portlet id="62" /> <portlet id="64" /> <portlet id="71" /> <portlet id="73" /> <portlet id="77" /> <portlet id="85" /> <portlet id="101" /> <portlet id="102" /> <portlet id="110" /> <portlet id="118" /> <portlet id="122" /> <portlet id="141" /> <portlet id="148" /> </category> -->

uncomment it and it becomes:

<category name="category.cms"> <portlet id="20" /> <portlet id="31" /> <portlet id="56" /> <portlet id="59" /> <portlet id="62" /> <portlet id="64" /> <portlet id="71" /> <portlet id="73" /> <portlet id="77" /> <portlet id="85" /> <portlet id="101" /> <portlet id="102" /> <portlet id="110" /> <portlet id="118" /> <portlet id="122" /> <portlet id="141" /> <portlet id="148" /> </category>

3) Restart the robot / wasp and you have a bunch of CMS portlets extra available including the Webcontent Display including an embedded html-editor.  

Using the Webcontent Display portlet gives you the ability to edit and create html content (beside others), wich is very handy when you like to inform your customers about the function or features of the specific page they are visiting.

Although I am still testing it - ie if it is not conflicting with other custom UMP features - I have no idea why these powerfull Liferay features have never been standard enabled in UMP and any post (me and others) have never lead to any response of producmanagement or a tip or hint to this solution: uncommenting a peace of code in one specifc file.  - it appears it was always there but it just needed to be released :-(

Hope you enjoy the CMS features as much as  I do.

regards

Ashley Pietersen

And thanks again to Les Hull for this solutions.

Outcomes