We have a monitoring application that we built internally that polls SQL data every couple of min and based on specific thresholds we defined, alerts are sent out. I wan to replace this monitoring/alert system with Nimsoft, but still use the SQL data we have. What I would like to do is to feed Nimsoft the data from SQL and setup a monitor to alert when a threshold we have setup is met. I want to be able to do is drill down into the data that is harvested from SQL to see the details of the errors being logged. There are a couple of ways that have been suggested and that I have thought of. 1. adogtw, 2. sql_responce, 3. Custom .NET application using the API's.
Here is some considerations.
1. This probe would need to run every X minutes.
2. When data is queried from SQL I only want the newest data. Our data has unique ID's and only want to return data with an ID greater than the last run.
3. Different applications write to the SQL tables and have different thresholds for the number of errors. One application might be allowed 5 errors while another only allows 1 error before an alarm.
4. I want to be able to review historical errors that are generated eventhough an alarm was not triggered. Nimsoft would become a central repository of errors logged so I can report on the data for trends, etc...
5. Example data that would be returned is something like:
Threshold before alarm
Cannot save document
Too many tabs
6. If a custom application would be the best option it would need to be written in vb.net
Any suggestions on how to accomplish this and with the suggested option, how should the data be sent to Nimsoft? Looking at documentatin and solutions I have considered there are different was to send data to Nimsoft. QoS, Alarms, PDS messages, etc. I am very new to Nimsoft and not sure I understand the difference between them and what they are used for.