DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Displaying aggregate/summed data in UMP

Posted Feb 02, 2011 12:55 AM

Hi,

I need to display aggregate, or sum data from various probes. 

As a for instance -

I would like to show total used storage, across all datastores in the results of a vmware probe for a particular cluster. 

I have the various qos_disk_free metrics, but as far as I can tell, there is no way to sum them across certain hosts.

I had heard this was an option in the QOS charts in UMP2.0. but I can't seem to find it.

If it isn't, is there another way to get this data.  The only things I have come up with as ideas

are using the jdbc_probe against NimsoftSLM db, and creating a sum of those metrics,

or creating a custom probe.  Neither of these is very desirable.

• 2.  Re: Displaying aggregate/summed data in UMP

Posted Feb 02, 2011 01:07 AM

Easiest option would be via List Views, I have seen people develop custom probes for this but if you don't need to go back far (graphs, etc.) List Views will work.

Dustin

• 3.  Re: Displaying aggregate/summed data in UMP

Posted Feb 02, 2011 01:15 AM

I didn't see how in List views that I could add, let's say

datastore 1 - 4gb

datastore 2 - 6gb

in order to provide a field which says "10 gb" across those two datastores...  Am I missing something?

• 4.  Re: Displaying aggregate/summed data in UMP

Posted Feb 02, 2011 03:07 AM

I believe you are correct, you can sum in list views but not 2 different qos metrics, at least not that I have seen. 

I would say all you need to do is write a sql query to sum the data and put that in the nimsoft slm db.  You should be able to use the sql-server probe to get the total for you then put in a slm table and pull that in ump I do this with some metrics I need to sum.

• 5.  Re: Displaying aggregate/summed data in UMP

Posted Feb 02, 2011 09:16 PM

So, in my use of the list designer, I haven't seen a way that you can create a sum of different metrics.  I am at ump 2.0...

• 6.  Re: Displaying aggregate/summed data in UMP

Posted Feb 02, 2011 10:05 PM

That is correct you can only sum one metric as I stated above.  You can use sql_server probe to get totals for you and put in slmdb from there.

• 7.  Re: Displaying aggregate/summed data in UMP

Posted Feb 03, 2011 06:25 PM

Ahh... I see what you're looking for.

I think the only (immediate) solution for this would be either a custom probe or a feature request... This could also be achieved using the SQL_Response Probe to capture the metrics and spit them out as QoS but that wouldn't scale well and would only be feasible in specific situations.

I know one of my colleagues wrote a probe to accomplish something along these lines awhile back, let me ping him and see if it might work.

Dustin

• 8.  Re: Displaying aggregate/summed data in UMP

Posted Feb 03, 2011 11:46 PM

Is creating a unified report an option?

It can aggregate data in a resultset and display those values in a footer.

Geir.