DX Unified Infrastructure Management

Expand all | Collapse all

Change Default Tabs For New Users

• 1.  Change Default Tabs For New Users

Posted Nov 09, 2010 09:48 PM

Is there a way to change the set of default private pages associated with a user when they login for the first time?

I currently have to login as the user before they're accessible in the UMP interface, then delete their default private pages and then associate them to a User Group. I'm hoping there's a better way...

• 2.  Re: Change Default Tabs For New Users

Posted Nov 09, 2010 10:01 PM

Here are the steps you should follow:

1. Setup a user group
    2. Remove all user associations(users) with the user group
    3. Import the new lar
    4. Add the users to the user group

If you make changes and import a new lar after you have associated users with the group, remove the users and add them again. They will then receive the new lar (tabs, etc.)

There is a video here outlining the steps required to accomplish this:

http://www.youtube.com/user/nimsoftTech#p/u/8/9cDc69BY560

Regards,

Dustin

• 3.  Re: Change Default Tabs For New Users

Posted Nov 10, 2010 09:56 PM

It doesn't solve my issue, because I still have to login as the user, before I can do anything with them in UMP.

I'd like to be able to add an account into Nimbus and when the user logs in for the first time, already has the default settings that have been configured.

We have a specific default set of pages we would like to give all users.

• 4.  Re: Change Default Tabs For New Users
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 10, 2010 10:54 PM

You can do this by creating a lar file that you would like to use that contains all your tabs and such you want.  Put your lar in the below directory.

You then have to edit the portlet-ext.properties file in Docroot/porbes/service/wasp/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/classes foler

Below is the line you need to change with your new lar file name.  Restart and you should be good.  However one thing here this only applies when they login for the first time.  If a user has already logged in then you are going to need to import the lar from withing the portal control panel.

#default.user.private.layouts.lar=${catalina.home}/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/classes/default_user_private_nms.lar
    default.user.private.layouts.lar=${catalina.home}/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/classes/msn_default.lar

Hope this helps some.

• 5.  Re: Change Default Tabs For New Users

Posted Nov 30, 2010 10:19 PM

Thanks ntimm, your solution does exactly what I want.

• 6.  Re: Change Default Tabs For New Users

Posted Jun 30, 2011 04:51 PM
    Hi Neal, When you said "Restart and you should be good.", does this mean that the server needs to be restarted?

• 7.  Re: Change Default Tabs For New Users

Posted Jun 30, 2011 05:06 PM

No, you can just recycle the WASP (deactivate and reactivate it).

Dustin

• 8.  Re: Change Default Tabs For New Users

Posted Jun 30, 2011 06:45 PM

Is there a way to do this per Account or ACL?

• 9.  Re: Change Default Tabs For New Users

Posted Jun 30, 2011 07:16 PM

Copy/paste from our "Internal" forums, note that I've not tested these settings personally but another SE verified them as working:

To specify their .lar file as the default home page you need to go to the file:

C:\Program Files\Nimsoft\probes\service\wasp\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\classes\portal-ext.properties

In that file you'll need to change the following property:

default.user.private.layouts.lar=<path to the file>.lar

It would be best if their .lar file was kept in the directory specified above.

Then restart the wasp.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: I also dicovered that when you Export a new LAR file for this purpose, it seems to work best with the following options ticked.

Pages

Portlets

Setup

Archived Setups

User Preferences

Data

Range: All

Dustin

• 10.  Re: Change Default Tabs For New Users

Posted Nov 18, 2011 01:42 AM

In regards to Dustin's post below:  So how does this work with active directory.  Our users use Active Directory to log into Nimsoft and will use AD for UMP.  I can't associate a user with a group until the user has already logged into UMP as the account isn't added to UMP until the first logon.

Here are the steps you should follow:

1. Setup a user group
    2. Remove all user associations(users) with the user group
    3. Import the new lar
    4. Add the users to the user group

If you make changes and import a new lar after you have associated users with the group, remove the users and add them again. They will then receive the new lar (tabs, etc.)

There is a video here outlining the steps required to accomplish this:

http://www.youtube.com/user/nimsoftTech#p/u/8/9cDc69BY560

Regards,

Dustin

So how does this work with active directory.  Our users use Active Directory to log into Nimsoft and will use AD for UMP.  I can't associate a user with a group until the user has already logged into UMP as the account isn't added to UMP until the first logon.

• 11.  Re: Change Default Tabs For New Users

Posted Mar 06, 2012 05:57 PM

Did you ever find a solution for this?

• 12.  Re: Change Default Tabs For New Users

Posted Mar 14, 2012 04:12 PM

I am kind of in the same boat as we use ad internally but our customers just use account but they also do not show in ump until you login.  What I do is the initial login for them then go in to ump and add them to the user group which then give them the new lar if they are not part of the default group such as exec and such.

• 13.  Re: Change Default Tabs For New Users

Posted Mar 14, 2012 04:16 PM

One other note I would like to add is that I have had issues with the groups on occasion in that when I remove the users from the group and update the page, I then go back to readd them and UMP errors out saying user group is not accessible.  Portal log says something about layout already exist.

• 14.  Re: Change Default Tabs For New Users

Posted Mar 14, 2012 07:04 PM

if you go into Liferay Portal "Server Administration" and "Reindex all search indexes" i think it fixes that message. Using Communities is much easier than User Groups.

• 15.  Re: Change Default Tabs For New Users

Posted Sep 25, 2014 02:33 AM
    BTW, what youTube Video was that link pointing to? That link now just brings you to the Nimsoft Reference Videos home page. There are many videos but I want to know which one outlines the steps above? TIA.

• 16.  Re: Change Default Tabs For New Users

Posted Jul 26, 2018 05:29 PM

The youtube link above now just says that channel does not exist. Does anyone have a video link that explain how this works or to go over this? 

• 17.  Re: Change Default Tabs For New Users

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 26, 2018 05:53 PM

Daniel -

I cannot find the youtube video, but I did find the following Knowledge Document:

KB000041018 : How to Create a Portal in UMP

As far as I know, users have to login to UMP first, or you have to impersonate them, in order to add them to the site you create for the UMP portal you would like users to have access to by default when they log into the UMP portal.

Hope this helps.