1_ryan.jussel

Nimsoft Service Desk 6.1.0.6 Implementation Notes

Discussion created by 1_ryan.jussel on Aug 16, 2011

Hi All,

We ran an implementation/POC for a customer for NSD on-prem, and I wanted to share the notes that i came away with:

There is another thread for installation notes, so I won’t go into the install process.  We actually had a very easy installation on a Windows 2008 R2 SQL Server (Full) 2008 system, with the front-end (application) server running Redhat Linux (Both VMs). 

After installation, if you are connecting this into an existing NMS installation, follow the “NSD Integration Guide” from the support portal.  This has great steb-by-step instructions for implementing UMP Service Desk Page, nsdgtw, cmdbgtw, unified reports etc.

Configured Incoming Email:

·         The email interface requires imap, the customer needed to enable IMAP on their exchange system, and let the firewall through to port 143 (non-ssl).

·         Customer created a user/mailbox that could receive emails.

·         In the Application Setup -> Manage Configuration -> Inbound email Configuration  section: Create an entry for the new email address.

·         In the Application Setup -> Manage Configuration -> Job Triggers section Create a new Trigger:

• Trigger name can be “Inbound Email Polling” (or something similar)
  • Job must be: “Polling Mailbox Provider (ESD)
  •  Set the Cron Expression to the time for which to poll the email server (3min default)
  • Set Priority and timezone.
  •  Apply Changes, and “enable” the trigger
  •  Wait 3 minutes, then check the following log if you do not see the resulting ticket (Should follow default work-flow).
  • <Install Path>\tomcat\logs\servicedesk\<platform>_scheduler  --where platform should be the prefix you specified in the install.

There was no documentation for incoming/outgoing email settings, so I had to ping NSD support, and general trial/error troubleshooting on the following

Configured Outgoing Email:

• Navigate to the Application Setup -> Manage Configuration -> Outbound email Configuration section
  • Enter in the smtp server information, and other necessary information.
  • Set "Block Email" to No in the Application Configuration -> Manage Configuration -> Outgoing email section
  • In the Application Setup -> Manage Configuration -> Job Triggers section enable the Trigger for Outgoing Email “Deliver Notifications” (Should already be created)

·         Perform an action that sends an email from NSD

·         Wait 3 minutes, then check the following log if you do not see the resulting email.

•  <Install Path>\tomcat\logs\servicedesk\<platform>_scheduler  --where platform should be the prefix you specified in the install.

Critical Bug for changes

Using the "Standard Change Template" workflow we ran into what appears to be a bug in that an integral piece of the Action workflow is disabled/inactive by default. The "Accept Change Request" workflow action needs to be set to "active" for ANY of the change management default workflow to fire. If this is NOT enabled, a logic loop results going from "Submit for Change Evaluation" to "Assign Change implementer". We spent over an hour banging our heads against this. But when we finally found it, the changes worked, and we could proceed. 

The workaround was to enable the "Assign Change Implementer" workflow action. 

This should be changed to enabled by default.

I’ve confirmed the defect/enhancement with Engineering: Case #00058016

https://na4.salesforce.com/5006000000E5Mzc?srPos=0&srKp=00a

Outcomes