DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Converting incoming email messages into an NMS alert

Posted Nov 08, 2010 12:59 PM

Hi FOlks

I have a customer who is managing a secure environment where they will not let any incoming traffic into it. So they will allow an email to be sent out, with contains the alert, which they would like to be read and automatically converted into an alert from another NMS instance.

I have seen that this has been done before, but I cannot seem to find this. Can anyone point me to the right location?

Thanks

Anjay

• 2.  Re: Converting incoming email messages into an NMS alert

Posted Nov 08, 2010 05:42 PM

I remember that thread... That was brought up over on GoogleGroups awhile back.

Here is what was discussed:

Remko's Post

Several possibilities spring to mind, in order of preference: 

• First, I would look if it isn't easier to reconfigure the other systems to send snmp traps or (sys)log messages instead. Email is unreliable, free format (which makes it difficult to interpret), and needs a lot of intermediate infrastructure (mail servers), introducing multiple points of failure. Most systems that can send emails can also send alarms in other formats. 
    • You could write a simple probe to retrieve emails from a POP3 mailbox and turn them into alarms. The POP3 protocol is very simple. 
    • If you use sendmail (and probably some mail clients as well), the incoming mailbox is a directory on disk. The files in that directory are human readable. You might try to use logmon to read such files. 
    • The Exchange_response probe has an option to "alert on unknown messages". Not sure if that will include the text in the alert, and how elegant it will be, but it's an option.
    Adrian Later Posted
    Thanks for the Prototype Remko, I've used this as the basis for the probe I've created... 

Also like to thank Richard for your "Customer Connect Create Custom Probes Effortlessly" training session!! 

I have uploaded 2 files to Google groups, "email2alarm User Guide.pdf" & "email2alarm_1.00.zip"   

Basically the probe poll's an Email account via Pop3, if any emails are found then it downloads them, creates an alarm in NMS and then deletes the email from the Pop3 account. 

Unfortunately, the actual Probe isn't accessible from Groups now, the User Guide is but that's obviously fairly useless without the actual script. :smileywink:

I've emailed Adrian asking if he could chime in here and share his script.

Dustin

• 3.  Re: Converting incoming email messages into an NMS alert

Posted Nov 08, 2010 07:58 PM

Supplied Anjay with the files that Adrian sent me back in July.

Ray

• 4.  Re: Converting incoming email messages into an NMS alert

Posted Nov 08, 2010 08:40 PM

Why not post here so everyone benefits:

http://forum.nimsoft.com/t5/Internal-Upload-Archive/bd-p/Internal_uploads

Thanks,

D

• 5.  Re: Converting incoming email messages into an NMS alert

Posted Nov 09, 2010 03:54 AM

Done!

Posted to the Internal Uploads Group...

• 6.  Re: Converting incoming email messages into an NMS alert

Posted Feb 11, 2019 10:38 AM

Are these files still accessible anywhere? We seem to not be able to locate them and we would like to take an email and convert it into an alarm when its received?

• 7.  Re: Converting incoming email messages into an NMS alert

Posted Feb 12, 2019 06:42 AM
      |   view attached

This is the 2014 version of the package. (it worked for me some years ago)

Attachment(s)

zip
    email2alarm_1.00.zip   26 KB 1 version

• 8.  Re: Converting incoming email messages into an NMS alert

Posted Mar 26, 2019 08:46 AM

Has anyone gotten this to work on a non 32 bit machine? Unfortunately 32 bit machines are phased out almost at my company so I really cant get the pre-requisites installed. This function tho is something that we very much need so hoping someone else has some idea. 

If anyone other solution is available or if there is anyway to get this to work please let me know. I have been trying to get it to work on a 64 bit vm if I can get something working I will def post it also.