DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Configuring the Informix database probe - PoC issue

Posted Oct 21, 2010 06:46 PM

Hi guys,

Got an ongoing PoC in the UK and the tech guy is trying to get the Informix probe running and is not having much joy.  I've not had any experience in this area so was hoping for some hints & tips.  I've pasted the email below from the prospect so as not to precis it and miss out important info!  Any help appreciated...

I’ve installed the Informix Client SDK 3.00 on brs-nms-hub1

Within the set up for that, under Server Information I’m using...

IBM Informix Server  = onshore_pte_mgt

Hostname = 10.201.9.93

Protocolname = olsoctcp

Service Name = 1522

Under Host Information i’m using...

Current Host = 10.201.9.93

User Name = (a dba’s username)

Password Option = Password

Password = (the dba’s password)

The Informix Probe is then installed on brs-nms-hub1, it’s running and saying that it’s active and has taken ports. Within the configuration of the profile that I’ve created I’m using...

Server Name = 10.201.9.93

User = (the dba’s username)

Password = (the dba’s password)

Version = 10.0

However when I restart the probe I’m getting the following alert in the alarm browser...

Instance 10.201.9.93, cannot connect to database (Incorrect password or user %s is not known on the database server.)

We’ve checked the user account and it can access the required database as well as the system database.

Does the above error mean exactly what it says? If so are there any specific things that the user account it’s using needs to be able to do?

Thanks in advance,

Simon.

• 2.  Re: Configuring the Informix database probe - PoC issue

Posted Oct 21, 2010 07:25 PM

Simon, I've never had the pleasure of setting up the informix probe so can only suggest checking that the steps listed in the probe release notes have been followed. Not a great deal of help I know but a good first step.

Ray

=======================================

Installation notes

Informix Connect or the Client SDK (which contains Informix Connect as well) must be installed prior to installation of this probe. Please refer to the installation documentation for the Client SDK or Informix Connect for information on how to install the connectivity to Informix.

Informix Connect or the Client SDK must be in the systems PATH environment variable.

Run the setnet32 application for Informix to set up connectivity with the databases you wish to monitor. Please note that you must not check the 'Use my settings' checkbox in setnet32. The following keys must exist in the Windows Registry for the probe to be able to connect:

* HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Informix\Environment\INFORMIXSERVER
        * HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Informix\Environment\INFORMIXDIR
        * HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Informix\SqlHosts\[one entry for each database]

They should be created by setnet32 if the 'Use my settings' checkbox is unchecked, otherwise they are created under HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

The dbping utility which is also a part of Informix Connect and the Client SDK allows you to test connections set up with setnet32. Verify a database connection definition by running this utility to check for connectivity.

Note that database definition names are case sensitive, so you should allways check the definition in setnet32 or the Windows Registry prior to setting up a profile in the probe.