DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Websphere Cell Monitoring

Posted Sep 13, 2010 08:56 PM

Hi guys,

Need to know if anyone has come across a requirement to monitor Websphere Cells.  Having not come across this before, I don't know how I can answer the customer question.

Any input appreciated.

rgds,

Simon.

• 2.  Re: Websphere Cell Monitoring

Posted Sep 14, 2010 01:45 PM

For completeness here is the response I sent to Simon before I noticed he had created this post on the forum:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Websphere Cell is made up of a Deployment Manager and a number of nodes – the Deployment Manager acts as a single administration point for the nodes within the cell.

In the Websphere Probe terminology the Deployment Manager is referred to as the Administration Node and it is this server that the probe needs to be pointed at. Note that the probe does not need to be installed on the Deployment Manager server although it can be (depends on the OS version) – the probe will discover all nodes that make up the cell and probe configuration allows you to specify which ones you want to monitor.

SF Case 13096 (https://na4.salesforce.com/50060000003KbZw?srPos=2&srKp=00a) is interesting. According to Berbee’s Websphere expert the Deployment Manager can be configured to act as a single access point for all PMI (performance monitoring infrastructure) data from all nodes within the cell. This means you only need to monitor the one server to get performance data for all the others.

--------------------------------------------------------

Ray

• 3.  Re: Websphere Cell Monitoring

Posted Sep 14, 2010 04:27 PM

I did not know these were called "cells," but I can confirm that the websphere probe was setup at Berbee to gather data from several WebSphere servers by connecting to only a few of them directly. When browsing the available data in the probe GUI, the related nodes appeared underneath their respective Deployment Managers. I also think there were multiple WebSphere instances (not sure if there is a more appropriate WebSphere-specific term) on each physical server, so some of the servers appeared under multiple Deployment Managers.

-Keith