jonhcw

UIM and UMP 8.1 first feelings

Discussion created by jonhcw on Jan 3, 2015
Latest reply on Feb 19, 2015 by jonhcw

Hi,

UIM 8.1 was released this week. The release notes looked rather interesting - a lot of intriguing stuff such as the UDM, Discovery info for interfaces and new ade stuff, such as synchronization and documentation.

However, I've at least had some troubles with getting things up and running. I did an upgrade on three environments and none of them went alright. Here's a brief of what went down for me:

1. UIM 8.0 on 2012R2 and SQL 2012 SP2 latest CU (FIXED, see reply below)

Installation went fine and all the components were updated as necessary. Installation log looked fine. After installation it seems like most things work, except for USM. It goes through "Initializing" and then gets stuck on "Loading" and throws error and stack trace, that begins like this:

Details: com.firehunter.ump.exceptions.DataFactoryException : null  Stack Trace: java.lang.NullPointerException      at com.firehunter.usm.DataFactory.getRoot(DataFactory.java:3264)

I thought the getroot might be it trying to get the "root" group in USM. It does seem like the CM_GROUP table has changed a bit. UMP (more specifically, udm_manager) does also calls to a new table in the DB called datomic_kvs, which does seem to have a root or parent/child sort of construct as well. For now, I haven't been able to make sense of what the datomic_kvs table actually does.

2. NMS 7.6 on 2008R2 with SQL 2012 SP1

The installation again went succesfully. However, now many of the core probes now fail and log a stack trace. It always reports something like this:

Caused by: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: The driver could not establish a secure connection to SQL Server by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption. Error: "SQL Server returned an incomplete response. The connection has been closed.".

These are all Java probes, so I guess the library it uses to connect to MSSQL has been updated.

3.NMS 8.0 on 2012R2 with SQL 2014 CTP2

I'm aware this DB is not supported, but it's something that I've been testing. Here the installation doesn't work at all, it never finishes.

-jon

Outcomes