DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  ntservices: Alarm when successful restart of service

Posted Oct 30, 2014 12:16 PM

Hello

Is it possible to configure ntservices to only send an alarm when the automatical restart of a service failed?

When the restart was successful, an informational alarm should be sent, but not the normal down alarm.

Thanks

Leandro

• 2.  Re: ntservices: Alarm when successful restart of service

Posted Oct 30, 2014 08:08 PM

You should be able to just have to disabled or modify the service down monitor but there is a alarm for service restart or restart failed.

• 3.  Re: ntservices: Alarm when successful restart of service

Posted Oct 31, 2014 09:30 AM

Hello Neal

A service restart is not detected.

When the service is down and the probe restarts it, the down alarm is sent, and cleared at the next cycle.

To my undestanding there should only be an informational alarm in this case.

Does it work as designed?

Thanks

Leandro

• 4.  Re: ntservices: Alarm when successful restart of service

Posted Nov 05, 2014 05:55 PM

There should be a message in the config for restarting the service, make sure your service is set to restart and not just report as well.

• 5.  Re: ntservices: Alarm when successful restart of service

Posted Nov 05, 2014 06:01 PM

I opened a Nimsoft case for this.

We found out that the behaviour if completely different when the action is set to "auto" (which I did at the beginning) than "force state".

"Force state" is almost what I need.

Thanks

Leandro

• 6.  Re: ntservices: Alarm when successful restart of service

Posted Nov 01, 2018 04:23 PM

What I'm wondering is how do you configure the ntservices probe so that it throws an alarm when it tries to restart a service that it was monitoring and was detected as stopped? We want to be notified when it does a restart of a service.

ATM, we are monitoring all services on a box that are set to Automatic and if any are detected Stopped, we want it to try restarting the service one time. If it can't start the service then throw the "Service not running alert." an alert.

But we were wondering if the probe goes into a constant restart loop, service stops, probe restarts, service stops, probe restarts it, is this condition captured? If so how? What needs to be set in the probe to capture stop/restart/stop/restart loops?