DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  snmptd 3.10+ breaks name resolution on Linux

Posted May 06, 2014 06:34 PM

We have discovered that snmptd 3.10 and 3.11 fail to resolve IPs to hostnames when setting the source of alarms. This is a configuration option that worked fine up to and including 3.02 for sure (not sure about 3.03). Since this might not be obvious in a low-trap-volume environment, I thought I would give a heads-up.

The good news is that it actually logs an error:

snmptd: ptNetIpToHost - getnameinfo failed for X.X.X.X

But on the server that is running the probe, I am able to resolve IPs to hostnames without an issue.

• 2.  Re: snmptd 3.10+ breaks name resolution

Posted May 06, 2014 07:08 PM

+1 for "outsourced" software testing!

• 3.  Re: snmptd 3.10+ breaks name resolution

Posted May 07, 2014 05:12 PM
    +1 for software testing at all

• 4.  Re: snmptd 3.10+ breaks name resolution

Posted May 07, 2014 06:02 PM

reminds of the recent net_connect release then, where one of the linux sections actually had previous version files in it :smileytongue:

• 5.  Re: snmptd 3.10+ breaks name resolution on Linux

Posted May 07, 2014 03:55 PM

A bug report is filed against this. Support reproduced the issue on Linux but not Windows. I did not try Windows; I probably should have mentioned that here in the first place.

(I just updated the subject of this thread to make the scope of the issue more obvious when someone browses or searches. I would hate to make someone think their software is broken when it is actually working.)

• 6.  Re: snmptd 3.10+ breaks name resolution on Linux

Posted May 07, 2014 04:10 PM

Thank you and good to know. Getting all the alarms on IPs was driving me crazy, but haven't had the time to look into it.