DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Adding new drive automatically in nimsoft monitoring through cdm probe.

Posted Feb 26, 2014 09:23 AM

Hi Friends,

Is there any way to add the newly added disk in monitoring automatically.

Example: consider there  are two drives namely C and E in the server and same has been configured in nimsoft to monitor cdm probe.

After some time in server if they add another disk drive called F, can it be added to nimsoft monitoring automatically with some default thresholds.

And can I know when the disk drive is added in to server?

Regards,

Chandra Kumar BS

• 2.  Re: Adding new drive automatically in nimsoft monitoring through cdm probe.

Posted Feb 26, 2014 09:39 AM

Hi,

Yes, I guess this must've been discussed earlier. Check the cdm raw configuration (in IM hit ctrl or shift when you right click and choose raw configure -> edit configuration file). There go to disk -> fixed_default and make sure the key "active" says "yes".

-jon

• 3.  Re: Adding new drive automatically in nimsoft monitoring through cdm probe.

Posted Feb 27, 2014 03:15 PM

Hi Chandra,

the monitor template takes the probe cfg file from the latest version of the probe at the archive.

you can easely creat a new version of the cdm prob and edit at the archive its cfg file with this defenition.

or to edit the original cdm probe configuration.

another option except this option (what i do usually)

is to add at the cfg file 

:

<disk> clear </disk>

before the original defaults parameters of the disk at the cfg file.

it will always clean all the disk and then apply the new fixed default parameters..

regards

itzhak grinboim

• 4.  Re: Adding new drive automatically in nimsoft monitoring through cdm probe.

Posted Feb 28, 2014 01:53 AM

I would generally not recommend changing the files in the cdm package. You are better off creating a standalone package containing a cdm.cfx file (not a cdm.cfg file) with just the config changes you want to apply to the config. You can make the new package dependent on the cdm package so that it will cause the cdm probe to be installed automatically. Then you just deploy your new package from the archive instead of the cdm package.

The easiest way to do this the first time is to grab the cdm probe from some robot where it is installed and configured correctly and then drag that package back to the archive to get its config. Then you can open the new package, edit the cdm.cfx file, and add the dependency.

You can go even further by adding *.cfx files for other probes to the same package and include them as dependencies. This is how we do most of our probe installs rather than deploying the Nimsoft-supplied packages directly.

• 5.  Re: Adding new drive automatically in nimsoft monitoring through cdm probe.

Posted Feb 28, 2014 08:42 AM

I guess itzhak was thinking of SOC, but keithk's method is better generally :smileyhappy:

I've also seen people copying probe packages, renaming them and altering the cfx.. which is not very wise.