DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  New interface traffic probe

Posted May 03, 2013 06:45 PM

Anyone using version 5.30 and above?  Seems to me they have changed something with how it gets the ifName variable as I have changed a few interface names in the gui to reflect what they do but using the new version I just get the actual interface name like Serial0/0 instead of a hardcoded name from the gui like BackupCkt blahblah  I rolled back to 5.23 and the alarm message was what it's supposed to be.  I am going to start being hesitant on any probe upgrades as there doesn't seem to be enough QA when they release these probes.

• 2.  Re: New interface traffic probe

Posted May 03, 2013 07:35 PM

You probably already know it is available, but we recently started using the description field in the interface properties in the probe GUI. I think it can be included in alarm strings with the variable $user1. You might be able to use that field to reflect the purposes of certain interfaces rather than renaming them.

It would obviously be more convenient to for the probe to work as it was before, but if the change in behavior is a design decision that Nimsoft will not reverse, the user description might be the next best bet.

• 3.  Re: New interface traffic probe

Posted May 03, 2013 08:25 PM

"there doesn't seem to be enough QA when they release these probes." - Amen!

but no we are still mostly on 5.23 

• 4.  Re: New interface traffic probe

Posted May 06, 2013 08:46 PM

Is that for the setting in the advanced tab where you can set user description?  IF so that is not a good option cause we have to many interfaces to manually modify and yes I could just do the ones that need the custom description but then any other host get the nice $user1 in the alert cause it's blank.

• 5.  Re: New interface traffic probe

Posted Jun 26, 2013 05:28 AM

We ended up deciding to deal with the appearance of $user1 in the alarm messages. It is a very lame problem, but we did not bother opening a support case. We needed a quick solution, and support gives us too much of a runaround with nearly every case we open.

So we created the following pre-processing script:

event.message = string.gsub(event.message, "='$%w+'", "=''")
    return event

This script removes other variables that suffer from the same issue. Note that we are using ='$var' in the probe for those variable, so the regex can match them with some extra context--not necessary but a nice safety net. The pre-processing rule matches interface_traffic alarms with the following regex for the message, which once again is somewhat specific to our alarm message format:

/='\$/