DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  sqlserver Probe connection error

Posted Feb 29, 2012 08:34 PM

I am receiving the below message when testing the connection in the sqlserver probe.

conf_sqlserver.exe
    Probe has to be started for connection test

I have it set up with SQL Server authentication and I have confirmed the User ID and password are correct by connecting to the server in SQL Management Studio with the same credentials and authentication.

The sqlserver probe is version 4.11 and is installed on the hub where the robot is in.  There are about another 50 connections in this probe all set up the same way with no issues.

I've checked the sqlserver pobe log and see the following for this server:

Profile: test connection profile, data engine connecting to database , using connection test connection, user: , winauth: 0, encr: 0
    Feb 29 17:25:34:470 [20892] sqlserver: Profile: test connection profile/test connection checkpoint/Connect - COM Error: Code=0x80004005 Source=Provider Description=Unspecified error
    Feb 29 17:25:34:470 [20892] sqlserver: Connection test to  failed

Connect - connection timeout after 6 sec

I've tried restarting the robot on the server with the failed connection but that has not resolved it.  Any ideas what I can check?

• 2.  Re: sqlserver Probe connection error

Posted Feb 29, 2012 09:07 PM

Can you test connectivity to the database server IP and TCP port by using the telnet command? If it is a timeout, the connections may be blocked somewhere.

This might be a long shot, but you could also increase the connection timeout to see if the behavior changes. I would expect six seconds to be plenty of time, but it might not hurt to verify this really is an outright failure rather than extreme slowness.

• 3.  Re: sqlserver Probe connection error

Posted Feb 29, 2012 09:40 PM

keithk,

I tried extending the timeout to 10 seconds but that didn't work.  The telnet command should be run from the hub to the server?  Which port should be used to test the connection?

• 4.  Re: sqlserver Probe connection error

Posted Feb 29, 2012 09:58 PM

Yes, the telnet command should be run on the host where the probe is installed. Port 1433 is the default TCP port for SQL Server, so that should be the one you need unless SQL Server was moved to a different port for some reason. The command should look something like this:

telnet [server-ip] 1433

As you may already be aware, the Windows telnet client typically blanks the command prompt upon a successful connection, so that would be good news. (In that event, use Ctrl+] to get a prompt and enter q to quit.) If there is a problem connecting, you should get an error message below the command even though it may take a moment if the issue is a timeout.

• 5.  Re: sqlserver Probe connection error

Posted Feb 29, 2012 10:01 PM
    Thanks keithk, that is the problem. There is no connection on this port. I'll check with our network team as this port was previously allowed.

• 6.  Re: sqlserver Probe connection error

Posted Apr 11, 2017 09:09 AM

Hi Keithk,

I am facing an SQL connection issue while configuring sqlserver probe 4.95v in ca uim.

I am getting the below error in pop up.

Connection test to Server_name failed with: Profile: test connection profile/test connection checkpoint/Connect - COM Error: Code=0x80004002 Source=(null) Description=(null)

Click Close to close dialog.

I have tried the telnet command too from the hub to the server where probe is deployed..its giving successful.

Where can be the error then.

One more thing,this issue I am facing for some servers in my environment, for some I am able to have a successful connection.

Please let me know what can be the solution.

Thanks