comfortably_nim

NAS configurations for scale?

Discussion created by comfortably_nim on Jan 18, 2012
Latest reply on May 25, 2015 by cooja09

I've read the whitepaper and received little more than a link to it when I posed this question to support.  I was wondering what conbination of nas configurations are recommended and what other large deployments are using to create highly scalable environments and to isolate potential impact of alert storms.

It seems there is a number of ways to configure multi-nas environments with combinations of many different types of replication.  These are describe in some detail in the white paper and other docs, but there are no recommendations on how to piece it together.  Just the usual description of functionality without an architecture recommendation. Hopefully somone could share some direct experience on that higer level for me.

I think the vision of how to scale this that's lacking in the docs and whitepaper would look something like this.

top/master-nas  <-bidirectional/relay-forwarded-alarm-events-> top/dr-nas

top/master-nas  >-event-responder-> spoke-nas1...

spoke-nas1... >-one-direction-> top/master-nas

top/dr-nas  >-event-responder-> spoke-nas2...

spoke-nas2... >-one-direction-> top/dr-nas

And then tie in alert/ticket system gateway on the top/master-nas.

I also wonder if anyone is running their master nas and data_engine on separate servers, essentially breaking the nimroot functionality into to parts for scale and isolation?

What are others doing.  What's working and not working?  Thanks for the discussion.

-ray

Outcomes