DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Use FQDN as robot name

Posted Nov 29, 2011 09:23 PM

I am convinced that there is a way to configure the robot/controller to use the FQDN of the host as the robot name (without manually specifying the robot name, of course). I think I read something about how to enable this option in the robot.cfg file recently, but I could not find anything on the forums about it cannot think of anywhere else I would have seen information like that. Does anyone know how this can be done?

I really hope this is a capability of the robot and not just something I dreamed up...

• 2.  Re: Use FQDN as robot name

Posted Nov 29, 2011 09:32 PM

mine does this by default in the UMP portlets. in the alarms they are short. There is a Name Translation Table in the NAS to manually do it. As far as the Robot name its different in almost every place I see, UMP is long, alarm console is short etc.

• 3.  Re: Use FQDN as robot name

Posted Nov 29, 2011 09:33 PM

I am pretty sure by default the robot strips the FQDN at the first period. I don't think there is an option to use the FQDN by default.

• 4.  Re: Use FQDN as robot name

Posted Dec 01, 2011 02:27 AM

Hi Keith

I think it is a feature on the backlog, but not yet implemented.

G.

• 5.  Re: Use FQDN as robot name

Posted Dec 06, 2011 06:18 PM
    I hope I have understood what you are trying to do if so I think this may help. Double-click on the nas probe on the NMS server and go to the "Name Services" tab. To start, click the "Enable Name Services" check box. If the robot name is the server name, choose the "Use Nimbus RobotName..." and turn on the DNS resolution setting.

• 6.  Re: Use FQDN as robot name

Posted Dec 08, 2011 09:36 AM

No, that only affects alarms. We want robot names to be unique, and relying on the hostname without the domain is not going to suffice. I really thought this was an option in the robot, but I guess we will just have to set the robot names manually.