DX Unified Infrastructure Management

Expand all | Collapse all

Bulk add servers to net_connect probe

• 1.  Bulk add servers to net_connect probe

Posted Nov 09, 2011 03:33 PM

Is there a way to add a list of servers to the net_connect probe just to monitor icmp connectivity please? Manually adding is taking a lot of time.

Thank you

• 2.  Re: Bulk add servers to net_connect probe

Posted Nov 09, 2011 03:49 PM

I had to do this a few months ago.

Do a small few, than bring in the probe back to the archive, save the configuration only. View the cfx file and you'll see where your hosts have been emiited, than type out the rest of your hosts into the file than move the configuration back onto the probe.

• 3.  Re: Bulk add servers to net_connect probe

Posted Nov 09, 2011 03:50 PM

Hi Kevin,

Yes you can add in bulk through drag and drop. If you have the hosts configured in appropriate hosts file (at least for windows), you can highlight all host entries and then drag and drop over the probe GUI.

Otherwise, you can create a text file with host and IP address separated by tabs / spaces and then try to drag it.

Let us know if it works.

Regards,

Amit Saxena

• 4.  Re: Bulk add servers to net_connect probe

Posted Nov 09, 2011 05:40 PM
    Hi Amit, I tried it with a tab delimited text file and also with a .csv but it said "the drag source is unsupported"

• 5.  Re: Bulk add servers to net_connect probe

Posted Nov 09, 2011 06:10 PM

I have noticed that drag and drop to the archive does not work on Windows 2008 (possibly depending on the configuration of UAC or other settings). I wonder if your issue using drag and drop with net_connect might be a similar issue.

Editing the config file directly (either in a package as suggested previously or directly on the host) should work well, although that might be a big inconvenient. It is probably still a lot better than doing it all through the GUI though.

• 6.  Re: Bulk add servers to net_connect probe

Posted Nov 09, 2011 08:40 PM

I found a solution which I thought I would share in case anyone else wants to do this.

1. Open up the net_connect probe you want to add the robots to (if you want to, create any groups you want)

2. Select the hub in the left pane of IM

3. In the right hand upper pane all of the robots will be listed (from here I sorted by OS as I wanted to group them by OS in the probe).

4. I highlighted all of the robots I wanted and dragged them to the net_connect probe and added to the groups I wanted them in.

Doing this allowed me to add all of my servers really easily and applied the default configuration and also added the service 48000 to monitoring.

Thank you

Kevin

• 7.  Re: Bulk add servers to net_connect probe

Posted Nov 09, 2011 08:55 PM

Hi Kevin,

That's nice but it will only work for those devices which are added as robots in your Nimsoft implementation.

I have seen drag and drop working fine with earlier version of net_connect, perhaps either it might be the probe version issue or windows UAC setting as pointed by Keith.

Regards,

Amit Saxena

• 8.  Re: Bulk add servers to net_connect probe

Posted Nov 10, 2011 12:41 AM

Has to be using wordpad for some reason.  Notepad not supported.

• 9.  Re: Bulk add servers to net_connect probe

Posted Nov 10, 2011 06:13 PM
    Thanks Neal I will remember that one

• 10.  Re: Bulk add servers to net_connect probe
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 29, 2011 10:25 PM

Hi Kevin,

Just disable UAC before doing a drag and drop and it should work. I have tested this to work in my case on Windows Server 2008 32-bit.

Regards,

Amit Saxena

• 11.  Re: Bulk add servers to net_connect probe

Posted Dec 16, 2016 12:31 PM

This doesn't seem to be working any longer in v3.05

I tried d-n-d a list of host names from outlook, notpad++ even txt file with all the names into net_connect probe but no luck.

I remember being able to do this... 

Fixed:  It was a Windows 10 thing. I had to open the application "As Administrator" that I was dragging from that had the list of IPs  Host Names (Notepad++). Once I opened Notepad++ as Administrator then selected and dragged it worked!!!