DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Restricting discovery_server and/or discovery_agent

Posted Sep 06, 2011 06:29 PM

Hi all,

I'm using discovery to get hostnames of machines we're watching that don't have robots on them so that we can use RemoteAdmin to put them into maintenance mode (NIS is set to exclude alarms from systems set to maintenance mode in CM_COMPUTER_SYSTEMS). There are two groups of robot-less systems we are monitoring and each is in a specified IP range (Hub A: 10.31.x.x, Hub B: 10.71.x.x). I have scopes set up in RemoteAdmin for each discovery_agent at Hubs A and B and those are working fine. The problem is that we're also getting machines that are not in either site, the autodiscovery is getting every system, device, etc from ALL hubs, not just 10.31.x.x from A and 10.71.x.x from B. I only have two discovery_agents active. I haven't been able to figure out from the discovery_server/agent logs where those entries are coming from. Do I need to add a scope that says exclude everything and then add one that says include 10.31/71.x.x? Is the discovery_server collecting information on its own?

Thanks!

-Martin

• 2.  Re: Restricting discovery_server and/or discovery_agent

Posted Sep 09, 2011 01:40 AM

A follow-up question: The RemoteAdmin portlet has two sections further down that suggest that I can insert entries directly: one is called "Manually Added" and the other is "Imported (CMDB)"

I have not found a way to do that, and I have not found anything useful reading NIS Manager/RemoteAdmin/etc documentation. Does anyone have any suggestions about that?

Also, I would like to give our clients access to the Remote Administrator portlet, of course with the restriction that they can only see system from the hubs linked to their accounts. So far I have only been able to get the portlet to load when opening it as a real user (as in Infrastructure Manager), UMP accounts always get "Permission Denied" -- even when I give them the highest possible ACLs and UMP roles. Is the RemoteAdmin portlet restricted to InfMgr users only?

Thanks!

-Martin