DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Alternate Java classpath for EMC VMAX probe?

Posted Jun 30, 2011 08:38 PM

Hi,

We are planning to use the VMAX probe on some of our linux servers.  By design they run 1.5 of Java, but the docs for the VMAX probe require 1.6 of Java.  We can install 1.6 an alternate directory, but will we be able to configure the VMAX probe to use the alternate path?  If so, how?

-Randy

• 2.  Re: Alternate Java classpath for EMC VMAX probe?

Posted Jun 30, 2011 11:48 PM

I haven't looked at the probe specifically but if it's not in the gui it will need to be via raw config.  Shift/Right Click on the probe and choose raw configure. 

• 3.  Re: Alternate Java classpath for EMC VMAX probe?

Posted Jul 01, 2011 12:34 AM

Neal,

My thoughts as well, however, unlike the other probes (VMware, etc.) that use java, this one doesn't expose the path in the cfg.

I think you may need to open a case. :smileyindifferent:

Dustin

• 4.  Re: Alternate Java classpath for EMC VMAX probe?

Posted Jul 01, 2011 01:34 AM

Randy,

I had a look in the vmax probe package, and it appears to be setup to run the JVM that is packaged in the archive. In fact, the java_jre package is listed as a dependency and should automatically distribute to a robot if it is not already there when you attempt to install the VMAX probe.

If you have not done so already, give it a try. Just make sure the java_jre package is in your local archive.

-Keith

• 5.  Re: Alternate Java classpath for EMC VMAX probe?

Posted Jul 01, 2011 06:08 PM

Hi,

Ok, I tried it.  It downloaded the linux version ok.  When I went to the general configuration I supplied the location of the SYMCLI which is /opt/emc/SYMCLI/bin.   The VMAX Probe Settings complain that there is no symcfg.exe file there.  On linux the file is simply symcfg with no .exe extension.  That is true for all of the executables in the bin directory.  Is there a way I can fix this or is this a bug?  I looked in the log and it looks like it will try to run a command called "symcli -version", but that is not a valid symcli command.  I've attached the valid commands below...

]# /opt/emc/SYMCLI/bin/symcli -h

NAME

symcli - Provides a brief description of all the commands
                  included in the Symmetrix Command Line Interface
                  (SYMCLI) and the environment variables.

SYNOPSIS

symcli [-env] [-def] [-h] [-v]

OPTIONS

-def           Displays the SYMCLI environmental variable
                        values that are currently set.

-env           Displays the list of environmental
                        variables that can be used with SYMCLI
                        commands.

-h             Provides brief, online help information.

-v             Provides a brief description of all the
                        SYMCLI commands.

PARAMETERS

None

I have opened a ticket on this as well...

-Randy

• 6.  Re: Alternate Java classpath for EMC VMAX probe?

Posted Jul 02, 2011 09:35 AM

You will probably get the best result from the ticket you opened. It is possible the probe is doing the right thing when it looks for the command (skips the .EXE part on Linux) but uses a bad error message that makes it seem like it is looking for a command with .EXE on the end. Someone will have to look inside the probe to be sure. Maybe it is the fact that the -version command is being used, which causes an error that the probe is reporting incorrectly. Once again, I think someone will have to look in the probe to tell you exactly what is going on. And if any of these issues require an update to the probe, the ticket will allow support to escalate the issue for a fix.

-Keith