DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  changing User ID for data_engine probe

Posted May 18, 2011 12:01 AM

Presentlly, I have the data_engine probe using sa to access the NimbusSLM database.  I would like to change that account to an account with less priviledges.  I'd like to use windows authentication so what kind of permission to the NimbusSLM database would the windows account need?  In the Nimsoft Server Installation guide it mentions that if using windows authentication you'd need to add the account as an administrator on the local computer and the SQL server machine and to have the watcher service run as that account, but does not mention any specific permissions within the database?  Also, if I do change the data_engine to a windows account and I go to upgrade Nimsoft would that user need additional / elevated permissions above and beyond normal to other portions of a sql install for successful installation?

• 2.  Re: changing User ID for data_engine probe

Posted May 18, 2011 03:47 AM

Russ,

This should help:

In certain cases customers require not to use 'sa' login for NimsoftSLM/NimbusSLM database due to their security policies and NimsoftSLM database was installed using 'sa' login; this document describes steps to change the NimsoftSLM database ownership to a non-'sa' user. 

Part 1:smileyfrustrated:teps on SQL Server in the SQL Server Management Tool: 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

1.Expand Security node under NimsoftSLM/NimbusSLM database and right click on 'Login' and select "New Login..." 

2. Enter the desired login name and set password. Un-select "Enforce password policy" 

3. Click on "Server Roles" and select "sysadmin" role 

4. Select OK to create the new login. 

5. Create a query within Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio. This query will execute a stored procedure. 

Use NimbusSLM; (NimsoftSLM in release 4.0 and above) 

EXEC sp_changedbowner ‘<login you created above>’ 

6. Execute query. 

Part 2: In Nimsoft Nimbus Manager / Infrastructure Manager: 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

1 Launch the "data_engine" configuration tool and in "Database" tab, enter credentials for newly created login 

2. Click on "Test Connection" to verify the login credentials. 

3. Change log level to 1 and click Apply and Yes on restart the probe. 

View the "data_engine" log and check startup messages for any error messages. Analyze the log for a while and check for any error messages related to access to database, database free space check error and/or any other obvious errors. 

4 Verify your data, after change, using Service Level Manager. 

Please let us know if yoiu require additional assistance!

Dustin