hazard1yard

SNMPTD and Veritas NetBackup

Discussion created by hazard1yard on Mar 9, 2011
Latest reply on Mar 24, 2011 by hazard1yard

I have set up to receive SNMP traps from NetBackup which I am receiving as alarms. Now there are two problem areas I am working on and would just like to ask if anyone has any suggestions on how to approach these.

The way traps work on NBU is that master servers send the traps to a central tool called OpsCenter and then that forwards them to my Nimsoft hub where the alarms appear.

All of the important data that I need i.e. the original trap encased in the trap that is forwarded to my hub is listed against one variable. All of this data does gets presented in the alarm at the hub. I am trying to find a way to extract parts of that variable to clean up the alarm and just present what I need.

The other issue is that because I could be receiving traps from multiple master servers that are all sending to the same OpsCenter, when alarms come into the hub it shows the first and suppresses all sub-sequent alarms.  So being able to pull master server/node information out of the variable would also help here to differentiate between masters.

If you are still with me thanks for sticking with it and I would appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Thank you

Outcomes