DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  url_response and HTTP_STATUS_BAD_REQUEST 400

Posted Feb 02, 2011 01:37 AM

I have several url's that I'd like to setup in a url response and when I enter the url's into a profile and hit test I get Result: 400 The request could not be processed by the server due to invalid syntax.  I enter those url's into firefox or internet explorer and they come up fine.  There is no need for nt authentication or any special configuration to browse to these url's.  The url's are for SAP though so I'm sure you have to do something convoluted to make it work appropriately.

• 2.  Re: url_response and HTTP_STATUS_BAD_REQUEST 400

Posted Feb 02, 2011 01:50 AM

When you enter those URLs into a browser, do they redirect?

I have seen some websites that use HTML or JavaScript to trigger redirects, and these do not work with the url_response probe. If the url_response probe gets a redirect code as part of the HTTP response, it will automatically follow the redirect properly. If the redirect is embedded in a the response content, the url_response probe knows nothing about it.

In a browser, it is hard to tell how redirects are triggered. The best way I have found to test problem URLs is the wget command. (I am sure the curl command would be very effective as well.) You can find the wget command in the repositories for nearly any Linux distribution, and you can get a Windows version here:

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/wget.htm

The reason I like the wget command is that by default it shows you every step of the web transaction, calling out all of the redirects and such. It has made some cause of URL monitoring issues nice and obvious even though I could not understand what was broken when I checked with a browser.

-Keith