DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  IBM pSeries/AIX monitoring and reporting

Posted Aug 23, 2010 07:49 PM

I am currently tasked with finding the proper method for monitoring and reporting on several pSeries boxes and their associatedAIX lpars. I currently have AIX robots deployed, but this does not give our pSeries engineers the needed level of reporting information. I am looking for any help in the areas below:

1. How our others monitoring these environments (IBMVM Probe?)
    2. Can Nimsoft gather or utilize "Workload Manager" statistics
    3.  Need to get physical server CPU utilization and Memory (from HMC?)
    4. Page space size, increase and decreases by WLM, is this available on Nimsoft

Note I am not a pSeries engineer, I am looking to help our pSeries engineer get the proper alerting/reporting that Nimsoft can offer.

• 2.  Re: IBM pSeries/AIX monitoring and reporting

Posted Aug 26, 2010 04:53 PM

OK I will narrow my question down to one topic:

Can Nimsoft access the Workload Manager data that AIX provides?

Thx

• 3.  Re: IBM pSeries/AIX monitoring and reporting

Posted Aug 31, 2010 03:49 AM

Hi there, we have 4 x P6-570 and 2 x P7-750 which we currently monitor are the use of the IBMVM probe to capture high level performance data.

In essence all this probe is doing is logging onto the HMC via SSH and running the lparutil commands and parsing the output. 

We have come across a number of limitations in the level of detail provided by the CDM and IBMVM probes for indepth analysis. The way that we have resolved this is by writing custom perl scripts and using the Nimsoft API to pull this data into the QoS database. 

Let me know if you need any help getting this set up. 

Thanks

• 4.  Re: IBM pSeries/AIX monitoring and reporting

Posted Sep 08, 2010 10:08 PM

I would love to hear any further guidance you may have ot offer on this subject.

• 5.  Re: IBM pSeries/AIX monitoring and reporting

Posted Aug 26, 2014 10:07 AM
    Hi,

I would love to know how to get a simple command for status on LED/LCD on the HMC? How to set it up in the IBMVM-probe?

This is the command:

lsled -m XXXX-********* -r sa -t phys