DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  cisco_monitor Probe Configuration Settings

Posted Aug 14, 2010 11:54 PM

I am looking for some direction on the cisco_monitor probe.  The default values for a few items seem to be outdated for most of the equipment in play these days.  And what exactly does the group do if you can't apply bulk configurations anyway?

I normally deploy 5-10 switches, 2-5 routers and a firewall or two each time we initialize a new relay and I want to build configuration settings for different types of equipment, for example:

VPN Routers

Edge Routers

Voice Gateways

2960 Switches

3560 Switches

3570 Switches

4500 Switches

6500 Switches

ASA Firewalls

We are also always tweaking how we do it, so if one customer experiences an issue and we see that we can prevent it by changing a monitoring value (like Memory Used) I would love to be able to create the configuration files and dump them on groups to bulk configure.  This is the one very frustrating part of the product, probes have no commonalities and you can never manage them the same.  What can I do about accomplishing what I am looking for?

Thanks for your help!

• 2.  Re: cisco_monitor Probe Configuration Settings

Posted Aug 16, 2010 04:37 PM

I actually use snmpet and create templates for my different devices as the snmpget probe allow me more granular control of my monitors and qos data.  I know this doesn't help with the cisco_monitor probe but just giving you some options.

• 3.  Re: cisco_monitor Probe Configuration Settings

Posted Aug 17, 2010 12:14 AM

For bulk configuration/group configuration in respect to the Cisco Monitor Probe I would recommend the NIS Manager (Win32) or the Remote Admin portlet which is a 1:1 with the Win32 version but it's web based and accessible via the Nimsoft UMP.