tom.beeckman

NAS implementing blackouts using operating periods or schedules?

Discussion created by tom.beeckman on Jun 14, 2010
Latest reply on Jun 15, 2010 by ntimm

Hi everybody,

We would like to implement blackouts for sending SMS/Mobile messages, but I am encountering some problems with this.

Let me explain my situation with a concrecte example.
I monitor a specific host with net_connect (ping),every 2 minutes.

The team responsible for this host wants to notified by e-mail 24/7, but an SMS should only be sent starting from 07AM.
They don't want to be woken up by the SMS in the middle of the night. If they can start intervention at 07AM there is time enough to fix the problem.

So what did I configure in the NAS:

1 AO profile on overdue age 1minute, which will send an e-mail to the team, with a correct filter which triggers on the correct alarm. No operating period has been set. => this works as expected.

1 AO profile on overdue age 1minute, which will launch a command (that will send an SMS), with a correct filter which triggers on the correct alarm. Here I have configured an operating period: 07:00 -> 22:00.
To obtain that SMS-messages will only be sent during 07AM and 22h/10PM.

What is going wrong?

If the alert occurs e.g. 03AM (03:00h) an e-mail is sent and no sms is sent, which is correct. I had hoped that at 07AM if the alert is still open and outstanding this AO would be triggerd to send an sms, but this fails. Nothing happens at 07AM.

Is there a way we can use the operating periods on AO profiles for this? Should we use AO schedules for this?

Anyone that has similar problems or info on how to deal with this problem?

I already tried to play a bit with the transaction logging and alarm updates, but that didn't help very much.

Outcomes