DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  WMI on Windows 2008 R2

Posted Mar 17, 2010 09:34 PM
    Is anyone else out there running the robot on Windows 2008 R2?  How about with the ntevl probe?  We have started to see issues with the WMI service using lots of memory, and this seems to be relate to the ntevl probe.  We are trying to collect more concrete data now, but I am wondering if anyone else out there has seen an issue like this.

I will report back what we find...

Thanks,
    Keith

• 2.  WMI on Windows 2008 R2

Posted Mar 17, 2010 10:00 PM
    Thanks for the insight. By chance We are testing ntevl on 2008 R2 today and will let you know if we encounter the similar issues.

On a side note with WMI. We are experiencing issues with the rsp probe version 2.23  with 2008 servers. It seems when running WMI queries against remote machines the local lsass process is at 100%. As soon as RSP is disabled all is well.
    This only happens when we have > 5 or more hosts in rsp.
    This seems to not happen in 2003 and 2008 R2 with the same config.

• 3.  Re: WMI on Windows 2008 R2

Posted Apr 02, 2010 03:35 PM

Additional investigation has shown that one of our custom probes is causing the most memory usage in WMI. I think the overall issue still affects ntevl, but the issue is much worse for the custom probe. We have found some documentation online about memory leaks in WMI on Windows 2008 R2, but there are few solutions. We also discovered a promising hotfix, but that did not change the behavior on our test server.

Does anyone else have experience with WMI memory leaks on Windows 2008 R2?

Thanks,

Keith

• 4.  Re: WMI on Windows 2008 R2

Posted Apr 02, 2010 10:22 PM

More info...

Some in-depth testing by a couple of our Windows engineers has shown that the WMI memory leak is specific to the Win32_Service class. They also found this detailed blog post about it:

http://brooke.blogs.sqlsentry.net/2010/02/win32service-memory-leak.html

We are going to try to get the information we need without using that class, but this is certainly not convenient!

-Keith

• 5.  Re: WMI on Windows 2008 R2
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 20, 2010 11:51 PM

Hotfix available from Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981314

Just found out, we have not tested it yet but will do pretty soon....

Cheers,

Erlend

• 6.  Re: WMI on Windows 2008 R2

Posted Apr 21, 2010 12:06 AM

Thanks, Erlend. Someone here spotted the same thing yesterday, so we have it installed and running on a test lab server to see if it resolves the issue. I will let you know what we find.

I guess you cannot believe everything you read on the Internet...

-Keith

• 7.  Re: WMI on Windows 2008 R2

Posted Apr 21, 2010 12:17 AM
    :-)

• 8.  Re: WMI on Windows 2008 R2

Posted Apr 21, 2010 04:29 PM

It appears the hotfix works! The memory usage of the wmiprvse.exe process on our test lab server did not exceed 8800 KB after running the probe for two days. I think it used to be well over 100 MB after this much time.

-Keith