DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Failover using Nats

Posted Dec 09, 2009 01:13 AM
    Interesting results in our development environment

2 HUB in 10.1.x.x & 10.2.0.0

10 servers in 10.1 & 10.2
    10 servers in 20.1 & 20.2

There is a  FW NAT in place for the 10.20 to NAT to 10.1 & 10.2 respectivly

Yet when I run a failover, the servers in the 10.x.x.x failover but not the  20.x.x.x

ICMP ports are all fine yet no failover

Robot.cfg all point to the Natted Address

Is there anything I have to take into consideration with the  HUB's

Kind Regards

Steve

• 2.  Failover using Nats

Posted Dec 09, 2009 01:25 AM
    Steve,

When you failover, do the 20.x.x.x robots appear under the secondary hub at all?  If they appear, they could have the wrong (untranslated) IPs, but it sounds like that is not your issue.

You mention ICMP is open, but do you also have TCP 48002 open to both the primary and secondary hubs through the firewall?

Have you tried testing with telnet?  From one of the robots, you should be able to telnet to the secondary hub IP address (listed in the robot.cfg file) on TCP 48002.  If you get a connection, the robots should be able to register with the hub.

-Keith

• 3.  Failover using Nats

Posted Dec 09, 2009 02:05 AM

Hi Keith

Robots dont failover at all yet 48002 is open and telnet works...
    Basically and apologies for not mention it earlier I get a windows error box pop up when I manually try to fail them over

"Error unable to move `hostname`"

--Steve

• 4.  Failover using Nats

Posted Dec 09, 2009 02:34 AM
    Steve,

Are you using the Move... option in the Infrastructure Manager to attempt to failover the robots?  I do not think that works quite like an actual robot failover, so it is probably not a good test if you really want to see what happens in a failure.  I would recommend stopping the Nimsoft robot (service) on the primary hub and seeing if the robots automatically failover to the secondary hub.  Do you think that would be an option?

As far as why you cannot move the robots using the Infrastructure Manager menu, I would chalk that up to being a NAT issue.  Some of those options do not work quite right in slightly more complex environments.  For example, the robot remove option did not work over Nimsoft tunnels until fairly recently.

-Keith

• 5.  Failover using Nats

Posted Dec 22, 2009 05:46 PM
    Quote: (kruepke@berbee.com)
    Steve,
    As far as why you cannot move the robots using the Infrastructure Manager menu, I would chalk that up to being a NAT issue.  Some of those options do not work quite right in slightly more complex environments.  For example, the robot remove option did not work over Nimsoft tunnels until fairly recently.

-Keith

Hi Keith, alot of our issues in development have now been fixed with the use of tunneling, I am now a big fan :-)

--Steve