keith_k

Questions about dqump and fixqueue commands

Discussion created by keith_k on Sep 28, 2009
Latest reply on Sep 15, 2013 by RobPol
These questions may require an answer from someone at Nimsoft, but I welcome any additional insights from other customers as well, of course.

Over time, I have become a little familiar with the dbparser.exe, qdump.exe, and fixqueue.exe tools from Nimsoft. (You can find all three in the Self-Service Center by searching the solutions.) The bad news is that I have had to use these commands; the good news is that I have not had to use them much. However, this has the side effect that I need to figure them out again each time I want to use them.

I do not think any documentation exists for the commands, but the Self-Service Center has some instructions on how to use them. The usage message printed by each can also help.  I am looking for some additional information to clear up a few questions.

dbparser
usage: dbparser.exe -f <file> -t -a
        -t      test the file
        -a      send alarm messages (else skiped)
        -e      only print error messages
This one seems pretty straightforward. If the -f option is not used, I believe the command defaults to opening spooler.db in the current directory. Based on this, it appears the command works with hub queue files (q_*.sds) and the spooler queue file (spoolder.db). If I am mistaken about any of this, please say so.

fixqueue
fixqueue -v <queuefile> <newfile>
Some experimentation has led me to believe that the -v option is required for <newfile> to actually be written to disk. When I run the command without the -v option, <newfile> is created but ends up being empty. The output on the command line is identical with the option, but then the file ends up with data. I do not think there is a way to run this command without getting blasted with tons of output (which can make RDP sessions very slow.

I was also wondering if fixqueue would work on the spooler.db file like dbparser does.

qdump
usage: qdump  -q <queue> -s <subject> -r <#>
This one is the most confusing.  The -q, -s, and -r options are clear enough to me. (Of those, I think -r is the least self explanatory. That one says to remove <#> messages from the head of the queue. Without that option, it only displays the first message and removes none.) I have also figured out that -V prints the version, and -h prints the usage message above (as help). I have no idea what -d and -l do, so this is another place where I could definitely use some more help.

Thanks for any insights,
Keith

Outcomes