DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Checking registry entries with NimBUS

Posted Jul 31, 2009 04:15 AM
    Has anyone come up with any clever ways to check registry entries with NimBUS?  Maybe a feature buried in a probe somewhere?

We have done this before with VBScript, but we just want to make sure no one has found a way to do this without having to write and distribute a script to every host running NimBUS.

Thanks,
    Keith

• 2.  Checking registry entries with NimBUS

Posted Jul 31, 2009 08:02 PM
    I don't have a solution, but it would sure be nice if the nexec probe could distribute the script that it needs to run!

-Chris

• 3.  Checking registry entries with NimBUS

Posted Jul 31, 2009 09:34 PM
    I got to thinking and figured out a way to have the probe distribute the script(s).

I created a new package like this:

Name: bb_od_test_nexec
    Group: OnDemand

First tab
    Name: bb_od_test_exec
    Files: dir-c.bat
    Probe definitions:
    Name: ~bb_od_test_nexec
    Group: OnDemand
    Type: on_demand
    : blank
    Dependencies:
    Name: nexec
    Second tab
    Name: nexec
    Configuration of existing probe: checked

When I did this and dropped the package on a computer, the dir-c.bat file was located under c:\program files (x86)\nimbus\probes\ondemand\bb_od_test_nexec.

I verified that the file contents matched the original file I created, but I haven't yet tried to call the file from nexec.

Good luck,
    Chris

• 4.  Checking registry entries with NimBUS

Posted Aug 01, 2009 03:33 AM
    If this is a one run (IE run once) then I would suggest Powershell or vbscript.

If it is something that you want to run on a regualar or looped basis, then you will probably have to write a probe, and use Nimbus to deploy out to all hosts....Or a single probe that queries all the other systems via WMI, etc.  I have written a few like these and used Nimbus as a fancy task scheduler to run it on regular basis and generate an Nimbus alert when an issue comes up....

My two cents, anyway.
    Cade

• 5.  Checking registry entries with NimBUS

Posted Aug 01, 2009 04:09 AM
    Chris/Cade,

Thanks for the feedback, but I was looking for any ways one might do this without having to write a script each time.  (We have already done the scripting option.)  It seemed like a long shot, but I thought I would ask anyway...

-Keith