DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Network Transaction Logging

Posted Feb 12, 2009 06:05 AM
    I'm attempting to persist all alarms to a database by enabling Network Transaction Logging on the NAS and having the ADOGTW probe pick up the nas_transaction messages.

When using the sniffer to monitor both 'alarm' and 'nas_transaction', I'm noticing that the AlarmId in the nas_transaction message does not correspond to the ID displayed for the alarm message.
    From the nas_transaction message, how do I get the ID of the original alarm?

• 2.  Network Transaction Logging

Posted Feb 12, 2009 07:24 AM
    Disregard my question. I realize that every message sent on the bus has a unique id and that each alarm that I'm seeing in the sniffer is just that - a separate message with a unique id.

When I compared the AlarmId in the nas_transaction message against what was displayed in the alarm console, they're the same.

• 3.  Network Transaction Logging

Posted Feb 17, 2009 09:11 AM
    Not that it matters for what you are doing, but I believe the way it works in the NAS is that when it creates a new alarm, it set the alarm ID to the message ID from the alarm message on the bus.  However, future alarm messages on the bus will all have unique IDs (as you pointed out), so their message IDs will not match the alarm ID.

At least this was how it looked when I spent a fair amount of time checking out alarm messages.

Keith

• 4.  Network Transaction Logging

Posted Feb 18, 2009 09:47 AM
    Quote: (kruepke@berbee.com)
    Not that it matters for what you are doing, but I believe the way it works in the NAS is that when it creates a new alarm, it set the alarm ID to the message ID from the alarm message on the bus.  However, future alarm messages on the bus will all have unique IDs (as you pointed out), so their message IDs will not match the alarm ID.

At least this was how it looked when I spent a fair amount of time checking out alarm messages.

Keith

From what I see every message on the bus has a unique ID and when the NAS generates a "new_alarm" message, it will hold the original AlarmId in a nested PDS section that contains the original alarm properties.
    Knowing this information didn't really help me solve the issue, but it's good to know :smileyhappy: