DX Unified Infrastructure Management

• 1.  Custom subsystems

Posted Oct 22, 2008 03:35 AM
    We have not been using the alarm subsystems so far, but Neal Timm's presentation at n-fluence has me thinking I would like to start using them.  I can see how they would be especially useful when using triggers and Lua scripts in the NAS, which I am doing quite a bit more right now.

I was just wondering what the best practices might be for defining custom subsystems.  I would obviously like to avoid conflicting with any future changes in NimBUS.  I see there is a top-level subsystem named Private, which I suppose is reserved such that NimBUS will not put anything underneath it.  I was going to create my own top-level subsystem, which I might still do, although I could just use Private if necessary.  However, I also wanted to create a Customer top-level subsystem (much like there is a Vendor one today).

If I create my own top-level subsystems, should I start them out with any particular ID to avoid potential future conflicts?  Any best practices in subsystem layout?

Thanks,
    Keith

• 2.  Custom subsystems
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 23, 2008 12:45 AM
    Keith,

You should create a structure in the 'Private' part of the subsystem tree.
    It is the only section that is guaranteed not to be tampered with from our end.

Carstein

• 3.  Custom subsystems

Posted Oct 23, 2008 01:01 AM
    Thanks, Carstein.  I thought that might be the official answer.  :-)

If someone were to disregard that advice (hypothetically speaking, of course), am I correct in concluding that any new official subsystems are likely to be numbered consecutively (next one being 4)?  So someone who wanted to start their own could use a higher number to reduce the risk of overlap in the future?

Obviously the current subsystem tree is fairly small even after all these years of use.  I imagine that is because there has not been need for more complexity than that so far.  Do you foresee that changing in the near future for any reason?  I am just curious about what might be on the horizon.

Do you happen to have any advice on subsystem layout within a top-level subsystem (such as within Private)?

Thanks,
    Keith

• 4.  Re: Custom subsystems

Posted Sep 21, 2010 03:28 PM

Hi!

Sorry for reactivating this old thread, but that matches for my opinion, perfectly for my followup-question on the private hyphe of the nas subsystem.

Is there any chance or perhaps someone has coded something, to propagate the private hyphe from one nas to another.

We are just developing our private hyphe and have more than one nas, so it would be nice if this one could be extracted + imported into another in some fashionable way, not the simple cut 'n paste in the config-file

cheers

Matthias

• 5.  Re: Custom subsystems

Posted Nov 25, 2010 02:14 AM
    Oh no....
    I created my own tree starting with 4. for custom subsystems....I guess I need to plan to move it to the Private branch, glad I found this thread.
    I started using subsystems to group alarms by application, so I could filter for maintenance by a single ID or to isolate an app or db tier for an application across robots and for remote monitors to an app( url_response, interface traffic, net_connect, etc ). Now I'm starting to use them for grouping alarms by location so when there is a network issue, the dependent servers/devices can be filtered.
    Curious how other people are using them.

• 6.  Re: Custom subsystems

Posted Nov 25, 2010 12:24 PM

hi!

We use it in the same way, defined our own Messages in the probes with private Subsys-IDs for better filtering in NAS and alarmconsole.

cheers

Matthias