GJ02ib65

SNMPTD Probe update and one line description in documentation.

Discussion created by GJ02ib65 on Mar 13, 2014

Version 3.1 of snmptd probe has a new feature listed in the setup tab.  It is a check box called "Enhance MIB Parsing".  The documentation was also updated, that is good :smileyhappy:.  My problem is that is really does not answer any questions, just raises more questions... The documentation says "Enhance MIB Parsing  .....  Enables or disables the auto-populating of the Severity and Message text field. You can create a profile based on the severity and the description defined in the MIB." 

Well, I must say this feature sounds fantastic.  I really need this, but I need a section in the manual that explains how to implement this capability.  The statement says "You can create a profile based on the severity and the description defined in the MIB."  How do I create this profile?  Is there an example of this type of profile?  Is there some documentation somewhere that I am missing?

The problem that I have is that I have just added the traps for Nimble storage.   The trap definition passes different severity levels to Nimsoft.  I would like to pass the same severity levels onto Nimsoft.  I understand I could go in and modify 208 different profiles, one for each trap, but that is a lot of work.  My best thought on doing this is to use pre-processing rules.

So the thought of creating a generic MIB profile for Nimble that parses the MIB and forwards the data on to Nimsoft sounds great.  But all I see is a way to enable enhanced MIB parsing, But there is no how-to information.

Has anybody used this feature?  Is there any additional documentation?

Thank you,

Gary

Outcomes