Gen EDGE

Expand all | Collapse all

error in buildtool

• 1.  error in buildtool

Posted Mar 23, 2015 12:05 PM

we are having issue with buildtool . i am getting erro " Remote Host Not Available Error Message " when in host i eneterd my unix machine name and in port the aefad port which is running on unix also i tried default port 7776 but same error occurs.

• 2.  Re: error in buildtool

Posted Mar 23, 2015 02:52 PM

If you are trying to run a remote build (or connect to a remote build tool), then a build tool server needs to be running on that remote host and the port number for that build tool server will certainly be different than the one used for the AEFAD.  Check to see if a remote build tool server is running and, if it is, find out what port it is listening on (I believe the default is 7766, not 7776).

• 3.  Re: error in buildtool

Posted Mar 24, 2015 04:21 AM

Hi John,

i want to build the co-operative server for trace mode. i created the rmt file and paste into my unix machine and when i try to build from window then i paste the host name of unix machine in HOST test box and also path of the file. now question is how i know the remote build tool server is running on unix machine or not ? and if not running ho i start the build tool server on my unix machine. i tried ps -ef | grep -i bld but no output find.

• 4.  Re: error in buildtool

Posted Mar 24, 2015 04:46 AM

i think build tool running on machine otherwise i cant build the server on my unix machine . how i check the on which port it is running

• 5.  Re: error in buildtool

Posted Mar 24, 2015 01:06 PM

As I said, I think the default port for a remote build tool to listen on is 7766.  The port number may also show up when you do the "ps -aef" to find the process on the remote machine.

• 6.  Re: error in buildtool

Posted Mar 24, 2015 01:05 PM

Try ps -aef | grep bt.ui.jar to determine if the build tool process is running on the remote machine.

• 7.  Re: error in buildtool

Posted Mar 24, 2015 08:42 PM

I'd suggest you read the Build Tool User Guide - particularly Chapter 3 - Using the Build Tool Server.  It's page 17 of the GA release of the PDFs for 8.5.

You can either auto-start it, or start it manually.

For UNIX and Linux platforms, the server mode can be started at boot time by adding the S99bldtool script to the /etc/rc3.d directory on UNIX and/etc/rc.d directory on Linux or adding this script to the Cron table. The Build Tool server opens a listening socket using the default port 7776. This listener port can be changed by adding a -p nnnn variable, where nnnn is a port number. If the listener port is changed, it must be changed in both the client and the server.

It is also possible to manually start the Build Tool in server mode, passing an unused port to communicate to the individual server. This provides the ability to run a server for an individual user, separate from the system server. It is flexible and you can start the Build Tool multiple times, each using a unique port listener address

You'll need to pay particular attention to the Security Considerations section - by default, there is no security, which is not likely to be what you want.

Another, undocumented issue is one of connections -its certainly true for Windows, and I'd expect the same for Unix/Linux.  To successfully use a Remote Build Tool Server, the server has to be able to reach back and establish a connection to the client.  Initial logins work fine, as does navigation, but the point where you issue the Build command requires the BT server to open a network connection to the client.  If your server can't reach the client, it won't initiate the build.  So this means if you're NATed (eg on a VM not et to Bridged), you may not have much luck.  This was raised as a DAR, though I don't know if it survived the switch to the Ideation process.

• 8.  Re: error in buildtool

Posted Mar 25, 2015 07:45 AM

i set the environment parameter and i run the below command

$IEFH/bt/bldtool -c SERVER

Port 7776 already in use - Bldtool exiting

this means build tool is running or not ?  because after that the error gone and i am able to login in buildtool.

but when i build the rmt file in window and the host is unix machine name it goes in build scheduled state and it takes more time.....

so i cancel that build and and check all the profile parameter but its not build . can you please suggest what to do.

also today i  set environment varibale again . i dont know why i have to set again

• 9.  Re: error in buildtool

Posted Mar 26, 2015 05:54 PM

If your are running the build tool on Windows apply this PTF, BTN85005 / RO77838SAP Portal Services

If you are running the build tool on another platform open a case with CA Support.

• 10.  Re: error in buildtool

Posted Mar 26, 2015 05:55 PM

To be clear, I am referring to the build tool client, not the server.

• 11.  Re: error in buildtool

Posted Mar 27, 2015 04:36 AM

Actually the issue is in build tool. i paste rmt file in build tool and press the build then it goes in build scheduled state and not complete even after 2/3 hours

i build the co-operative server. i paste that rmt file of serve on unix machine and i open build tool on windows where in host i paste my unix server name then it prompt for port and id and password

now its takes 7776 port and login succefully. then i paste the rmt file from unix for build but its not works.

can anyone help me on this.

• 12.  Re: error in buildtool

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 29, 2015 08:31 PM

Hello,

Per the advice from Geoff, the "BUILD-SCHEDULED" symptoms you describe match what is fixed in the Windows BT Client PTF BTN85005.

Please install that PTF and let us know if the problem is resolved.

Thank-you

• 13.  Re: error in buildtool

Posted Apr 01, 2015 11:53 AM

Hi ,

i install this PTF  but no progress . i am using coolgen 8.0

• 14.  Re: error in buildtool

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 01, 2015 09:18 PM

Gen PTFs are version dependent and you cannot install an 8.5 PTF like BTN85005 under 8.0 and there is no equivalent 8.0 PTF because the problem was only reported recently in 8.5

The root cause of the problem fixed in BTN85005  is after initial successful connection the BT client subsequently passes the server an incorrect IP address from a VPN or VMware Network Adapter. So to try to workaround that you could test again after logging out of any VPN or disabling any VMware adapters on the client.

If the above does not help then the root cause could be client firewall related as follows:

For short running tasks e.g. split, populating the build tree, expanding directories, the initial client-server connection to the server port (7776) is used to send the update back to the client. However the build task (potentially long running) uses a separate connection back to the client listener port to send its update from the server.   

In Gen 8.0 that client listener port cannot be fixed (new feature added in 8.5) and is dynamically allocated by the Windows OS/TCPIP API. The port allocated could be any ephemeral port out of the range 1025 to 5000.

If you test a Split of the .rmt file instead of a Build does the status get returned successfully? If yes then try to open the client side firewall for all ports 1025-5000 to see if that will resolve the Build Scheduled problem.

If the problem still persists please open a new case on support.ca.com for Support to assist you with tracing the root cause.

Hope this helps

Thanks