Service Operations Insight

Expand all | Collapse all

We have a vCenter adaptor installed for pulling data from vCenter for our VM hosts. We are able to see esx hosts for a particular domain whereas we have several other domains for which data is available in the vCenter database. Need help to see other doma

• 1.  We have a vCenter adaptor installed for pulling data from vCenter for our VM hosts. We are able to see esx hosts for a particular domain whereas we have several other domains for which data is available in the vCenter database. Need help to see other doma

Posted Mar 24, 2015 12:52 PM

We have a vCenter adaptor installed for pulling data from vCenter for our VM hosts. We are able to see esx hosts for a particular domain whereas we have several other domains for which data is available in the vCenter database. Need help to see other domain esx hosts which can be added in DM and data could be pulled.

• 2.  Re: We have a vCenter adaptor installed for pulling data from vCenter for our VM hosts. We are able to see esx hosts for a particular domain whereas we have several other domains for which data is available in the vCenter database. Need help to see other

Posted Mar 24, 2015 01:08 PM

I don't know if there is an easier way, but try to set up a separate data source name for each domain.  It can still be the same data source type.  They probably have separate VCDBs (just a guess).   Hope this helps

• 3.  Re: We have a vCenter adaptor installed for pulling data from vCenter for our VM hosts. We are able to see esx hosts for a particular domain whereas we have several other domains for which data is available in the vCenter database. Need help to see other

Posted Mar 24, 2015 01:13 PM

Thanks for your quick response Jim.

If i say that i can see data for the other domain VM's in the same DB, do i still need to create different data source for each domain?

• 4.  Re: We have a vCenter adaptor installed for pulling data from vCenter for our VM hosts. We are able to see esx hosts for a particular domain whereas we have several other domains for which data is available in the vCenter database. Need help to see other

Posted Mar 24, 2015 01:20 PM

I honestly don't know the answer to that, but it cannot hurt.  I would try it from one other domain and see what your results are.  We only have 1 domain, so I can only speculate.  Let me know how it goes.   You have my curiosity.   Thanks

• 5.  Re: We have a vCenter adaptor installed for pulling data from vCenter for our VM hosts. We are able to see esx hosts for a particular domain whereas we have several other domains for which data is available in the vCenter database. Need help to see other

Posted Mar 24, 2015 01:23 PM

Fair enough. Thanks Jim.

Will keep you posted.

• 6.  Re: We have a vCenter adaptor installed for pulling data from vCenter for our VM hosts. We are able to see esx hosts for a particular domain whereas we have several other domains for which data is available in the vCenter database. Need help to see other

Posted Mar 24, 2015 01:24 PM

When you edit the data source for that vCenter instance and fetch a list of servers are you seeing the additional ESX hosts from the other domain? 

• 7.  Re: We have a vCenter adaptor installed for pulling data from vCenter for our VM hosts. We are able to see esx hosts for a particular domain whereas we have several other domains for which data is available in the vCenter database. Need help to see other

Posted Mar 24, 2015 01:27 PM

Thanks for the quick response John.

No, i am not. In the list of servers all esx hosts belong shown are of the same domain while we should see other domain esx hosts as well.

• 8.  Re: We have a vCenter adaptor installed for pulling data from vCenter for our VM hosts. We are able to see esx hosts for a particular domain whereas we have several other domains for which data is available in the vCenter database. Need help to see other

Posted Mar 24, 2015 01:28 PM

I am not able to see other domain esx hosts in the server list

• 9.  Re: We have a vCenter adaptor installed for pulling data from vCenter for our VM hosts. We are able to see esx hosts for a particular domain whereas we have several other domains for which data is available in the vCenter database. Need help to see other
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 24, 2015 01:46 PM

Earlier when you said you could see hosts from other domains......were you viewing those hosts from within the vCenter client or were you actually running queries against the vCenter database?   If you are viewing the hosts from within vCenter my guess is you are running multiple vCenter instances in linked mode.  In linked mode, you would have the ability to view/manage hosts from different domains/data centers but each instance would still have a separate schema.  

Ashby

• 10.  Re: We have a vCenter adaptor installed for pulling data from vCenter for our VM hosts. We are able to see esx hosts for a particular domain whereas we have several other domains for which data is available in the vCenter database. Need help to see other

Posted Apr 01, 2015 05:24 PM

avinaybh,

I agree with John that it may be your view of "linked" VMware "domains".

We have nine (9) new VMware vSpher/vCenter databases to handle the new ESX 5.x implementations.  When I look at any one of those 9 instances, I can search for and find objects from the other 8 instances as well.

However, when I go to extract the data from the database, I need to run the VMware Data Adapter for each of the 9 databases.  When I pull up the list of ESX "Hosts" under each of those 9 "Staging" jobs, I see just the ESX Hosts for that database.  As long as I pull them all every day, I get a complete picture of VMware deployments in CCC displays and on CCR Report Views.

Hope this helps.

Gary