Service Operations Insight

• 1.  Add CIs to a Service during command line creation?

Posted Mar 25, 2015 07:46 AM

Hi All,

I have seen several topics on creating Services using the universalAdd_Service.xml and GCEventAddCmd.

I was wondering whether it is possible to combine this approach and also input a list of nodes (that already exist within SOI) to create a one-off Service, containing a list of nodes from a text or Excel file and set the service in Maintenance mode.

We are occassionally asked to set a list of nodes (1,000's) into Maintenance mode, however the list changes.

Has anyone attempted this?

Kind Regards,

Pete

• 2.  Re: Add CIs to a Service during command line creation?

Posted Mar 26, 2015 07:49 AM

To clarify this further, I can create a service using the GCEventAddCmd.bat -hservername -funiversalAdd_ServiceModel.xml, however I want it to loop around an input file and add 100's or even thousands of nodes to the Service with the same relationship.

Am I missing something obvious? Has someone done this elsewhere?

Kind Regards, Pete.

• 3.  Re: Add CIs to a Service during command line creation?

Posted Mar 27, 2015 08:11 AM

Hi Pete,

there is only one way to achieve what you are looking for:

You have to write a routine (BATCH, Perl, ....) to extract the info from the text or XLS file and create an xml file in the proper format that can then be used as input for GCEventAddCmd.bat.

This single file has to contain all CIs that should be acted upon and a complete Service structure.

GCEventAddCmd.bat itself cannot perform this action, it is a CLI to send commands to SOI.  So it is your part to provide the proper info first.

You also have to make sure the naming conventions fit so that the existing CIs get properly correlated with the CIs you generate via GCEventAddCmd.bat (e.g. the Universal Connector).

But you can also use a different approach to set all these CIs into maintenance (you do not need to create a Service for that):

Use WebServices calls - again, you have to provide the looping mechanism for your list.

See: Work with Maintenance Settings Using CA SOI REST Web Services - CA Service Operations Insight - 3.3 - CA Wiki

Regards,

Michael