Gen EDGE

• 1.  Java Proxy coexistence 8.0 and 8.5

Posted Mar 25, 2015 04:28 PM

We use Java Proxy for some of our web front end to Gen server back end CICS/DB2 applications.

We have just recently upgraded the encyclopedia and GUI client-server environment from 8.0 to 8.5 IE1 (working on IR2).

I  have a question concerning the Java proxy. We have a web app (Websphere, WAS 7) that is comprised of 20-30 proxy interfaces in the
    web front end.

Currently they are all 8.0 proxies, but we are introducing one new proxy and making a change to another. These will be the first 8.5
    proxies to be delivered/deployed.

Is it possible to deploy multiple common runtime jar files/collections to the same web app server?

Effectively we want both 8.0 and 8.5 common runtime jar to be in the classpath so depending on which version is called, it will be found.

i.e. we would deploy both the 8.0 common runtime jar (we call it agen80.jar) and the 8.5 common runtime jar (agen85.jar).

In very limited testing it seems that this would work OK, but it has not yet been tested with WAS or with My Eclipse Blue (our Java developer SDK)

Does anyone know this has been tried before? or accomplished?

Are there any issues or gotchas to this approach?

Does it even make sense?

• 2.  Re: Java Proxy coexistence 8.0 and 8.5

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 26, 2015 02:26 PM

Douglas,

The gen runtime has version in the package name, so, there is no risk that the Gen runtime gets mixed.

Although personally I prefer working in WAS with shared libraries, and associate the proxies with the relevant one, nothing prevents you from having both together.

Beware however, not to package the commcfg.properties file in the Gen runtime, as that one is common!

• 3.  Re: Java Proxy coexistence 8.0 and 8.5

Posted Mar 26, 2015 02:33 PM

My thought on commcfg.properties is that, as long as they are identical in both the 8.0 and 8.5 runtime jar, it should not matter which one gets found first. Is that valid, or am I missing something in my limited understanding of the Java world and WAS?

• 4.  Re: Java Proxy coexistence 8.0 and 8.5
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 26, 2015 04:10 PM

That's correct ... till your 2 identical files diverge

• 5.  Re: Java Proxy coexistence 8.0 and 8.5

Posted Mar 26, 2015 04:22 PM

Point taken. The goal is to co-exist until all the proxies can be re-deployed at the 8.5 level, then remove the 8.0 runtime jar. It will allow us to implement more gradually instead of big bang. Thanks for your input.