Clarity

Expand all | Collapse all

Error 500 - Internal Server Error in opening timesheet

• 1.  Error 500 - Internal Server Error in opening timesheet

Posted Mar 31, 2015 10:20 AM

Hi, We are using Clarity 7.5.3.

We are facing an Error message( Error 500 - Internal Server Error. The server could not
    retrieve the document due to server-configuration or other technical
    problems. Contact your site administrator) while trying to open a resources timesheet.

Could you please help me understand the reason behind tha Error.

Thanks

Aradhana

• 2.  Re: Error 500 - Internal Server Error in opening timesheet

Posted Mar 31, 2015 10:30 AM

"Error 500 - Internal Server Error" really does not mean anything on its own - you will need to look at the server log files (app-niku.log) to get any real meaningful error information (which is what the Contact your site administrator part of the message is trying to tell you to do).

• 3.  Re: Error 500 - Internal Server Error in opening timesheet

Posted Mar 31, 2015 12:16 PM

There are too many possible causes. If it is just one user and one timesheet you could try to open the assignments through the allocations of that user to see if the problem comes from there.

• 4.  Re: Error 500 - Internal Server Error in opening timesheet

Posted Apr 27, 2015 06:29 AM

Hi Urmas,

could you please remove the screenshot attached

thanks

• 5.  Re: Error 500 - Internal Server Error in opening timesheet

Posted Mar 31, 2015 03:11 PM

app-system.log could help too!

What are the Language and Locale of the user logged in when the error happened?

Regards,

Roberto Barra

• 6.  Re: Error 500 - Internal Server Error in opening timesheet

Posted Apr 01, 2015 06:58 AM

As Dave mentioned, what do you see in the app-niku.log ?

NJ

• 7.  Re: Error 500 - Internal Server Error in opening timesheet

Posted Apr 01, 2015 07:26 AM

Error 500 is just generic, it does not tell details. It can be caused by many different things. Pls, provide app logs.

• 8.  Re: Error 500 - Internal Server Error in opening timesheet

Posted Apr 01, 2015 07:45 AM

So CA should consider dropping the "500" as it is only confusing the users to think that somewhere there is an explanation what 500 means and which helps them to get passt the hurdle.

• 9.  Re: Error 500 - Internal Server Error in opening timesheet

Posted Apr 01, 2015 08:00 AM

I dont thing that will happen .. although is a nice idea.

• 10.  Re: Error 500 - Internal Server Error in opening timesheet

Posted Apr 14, 2015 06:40 AM

Hi All,

Thanks for your reply.

I have checked the app-niku.log and found the below error msg. Could you please share your valuable comments what might cause that error.

ERROR 2015-04-13 15:37:01,777 [ApplicationServerThread] union.service (802130875:142570939__1e8bf76:timeadmin.editTimesheet) rollback exception

java.lang.StackOverflowError

ERROR 2015-04-13 15:37:01,779 [ApplicationServerThread] web.WebActionController (802130875:142570939__1e8bf76:timeadmin.editTimesheet)

com.niku.union.web.WebException: Service call failed for portlet: timeadmin.editTimesheet

at com.niku.union.web.PortletController.processAuthorizedPortlet(PortletController.java:573)

at com.niku.union.web.PortletController.processPageActionRequest(PortletController.java:329)

at com.niku.union.web.PortletController.processRequest(PortletController.java:158)

at com.niku.union.web.WebActionController.processAction(WebActionController.java:1034)

at com.niku.union.web.WebActionController.processRequest(WebActionController.java:197)

at com.niku.union.web.WebControlServlet.service(WebControlServlet.java:338)

at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:336)

at com.evermind._hb.doFilter(.:59)

at com.niku.union.web.filter.GZIPResponseFilter.doFilter(GZIPResponseFilter.java:122)

at com.evermind._ha.doFilter(.:16)

at com.bt.jamon.ClarityJAMonFilter.doFilter(Unknown Source)

at com.evermind._cub._pod(.:383)

at com.evermind._cub._bmc(.:177)

at com.evermind._ax._ltc(.:666)

at com.evermind._ax._uab(.:191)

at com.evermind._bf.run(.:62)

Caused by: com.niku.union.web.WebException: WebServiceAdapter::processRequest -> failed to process service request

at com.niku.union.web.WebServiceAdapter.processRequest(WebServiceAdapter.java:162)

at com.niku.union.web.PortletController.processServiceRequest(PortletController.java:966)

at com.niku.union.web.PortletController.processAuthorizedPortlet(PortletController.java:543)

... 15 more

Caused by: com.niku.union.service.ServiceException: java.lang.StackOverflowError

at com.niku.xql2.binding.ServiceControlBindingXql.processRequest(ServiceControlBindingXql.java:177)

at com.niku.union.service.ServiceControlImpl.processRequest(ServiceControlImpl.java:651)

at com.niku.union.service.ServiceControlImpl.processRequest(ServiceControlImpl.java:190)

at com.niku.union.web.WebServiceAdapter.processRequest(WebServiceAdapter.java:158)

... 17 more

• 11.  Re: Error 500 - Internal Server Error in opening timesheet

Posted Apr 14, 2015 09:56 AM

I would have an expectation that for a stack overflow error, the stack trace would be substantially longer than this - are you sure that this entry from the log files is complete?  What about the preceding/succeeding entries, are they for the same user/session?

• 12.  Re: Error 500 - Internal Server Error in opening timesheet

Posted Apr 16, 2015 07:30 AM

Hi All,

We have deleted the timesheets which are creating problems and new timesheets are generated. When we try to open the timesheets for those uses they are opening correctly. After that whenever we click on the button 'Populate' then again we are facing the same issue. I am unable to reslove the issue yet.

I thought this might help. Could you please provide me anything with the issue.

Hi Nick,

I am afraid this is all present in the log.

Thanks,

Aradhana

• 13.  Re: Error 500 - Internal Server Error in opening timesheet

Posted Apr 16, 2015 07:59 AM

Sounds like there is something wrong with one of the tasks you are putting onto the timesheet - instead of "Populate" (which will put a lot of tasks onto the timesheet at the same time) try using "Add Task" and add them one-by-one until you can find the one that is causing the problem, then investigate that assignment/task/project.

(I am just GUESSing of course)

• 14.  Re: Error 500 - Internal Server Error in opening timesheet

Posted Apr 16, 2015 08:00 AM

I agree with Dave on "try using "Add Task" and add them one-by-one until you can find the one that is causing the problem, then investigate that assignment/task/project"

NJ

• 15.  Re: Error 500 - Internal Server Error in opening timesheet

Posted Apr 17, 2015 06:12 AM

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNGCapture2.PNG

Hi Dave/NJ,

I have found the task which is creating the problem but unable to find the issue with that task.

I am attaching the screenshot. Could you please look into it and let me know if you found anything.

The time period creating problem starts from 6th Apr 2015.

thanks,

Aradhana

• 16.  Re: Error 500 - Internal Server Error in opening timesheet

Posted Apr 17, 2015 06:44 AM

If that is one resource only try dropping the assignment and allocations and recraete them.

If you can open the task itself (properties) then the task is likely to be OK and the problem is somewhere else in the data that comes on the timesheet for that task.

• 17.  Re: Error 500 - Internal Server Error in opening timesheet

Posted Apr 20, 2015 03:31 AM

The project associated with this task consists of around 43,000 tasks. Could it be the reason, the issue is occuring?? In that case how could we fix the project?

• 18.  Re: Error 500 - Internal Server Error in opening timesheet

Posted Apr 27, 2015 09:23 AM

Can you check if there are any duplicate task assignments? I vaguely remember this occassionally being an issue with 7.5.x.

SELECT    II.CODE,
              II.NAME,
              PT.PREXTERNALID,
              PT.PRNAME,
              SR.FULL_NAME,
              SR.UNIQUE_NAME 
    FROM      INV_INVESTMENTS II INNER JOIN
              PRTASK PT ON 
              II.ID = PT.PRPROJECTID INNER JOIN 
              (          
              SELECT    PA.PRTASKID,
                        PA.PRRESOURCEID 
              FROM      PRASSIGNMENT PA 
              GROUP BY  PA.PRTASKID,
                        PA.PRRESOURCEID 
              HAVING    COUNT(*) > 1
              ) WIERDASSIGNMENTS ON 
              PT.PRID = WIERDASSIGNMENTS.PRTASKID INNER JOIN 
              SRM_RESOURCES SR ON 
              WIERDASSIGNMENTS.PRRESOURCEID = SR.ID  
    ORDER BY  SR.FULL_NAME,
              II.NAME

• 19.  Re: Error 500 - Internal Server Error in opening timesheet

Posted Apr 27, 2015 11:30 AM

Thanks for reply...but there is no duplicate assignment

• 20.  Re: Error 500 - Internal Server Error in opening timesheet

Posted Apr 20, 2015 08:19 AM

Hi All,

could someone please provide me the query which runs at the backend when adding task to timesheet. please remember my clarity version is Clarity 7.5.3.

Thanks

• 21.  Re: Error 500 - Internal Server Error in opening timesheet

Posted Apr 20, 2015 11:22 AM

I have also noticed that for few tasks the in RPTASk the value of field PRWBSSEQUENCE is in negetive value. Is that cause the error?

• 22.  Re: Error 500 - Internal Server Error in opening timesheet

Posted Apr 20, 2015 11:43 AM

I've not ever seen negative PRWBSSEQUENCE values - that is strange.

Are those negative values on the task that you have problems with - if so that might be a problem.  (With 43,000 tasks you really do need to focus on the one that is the problem, not guessing around the other ones! )

• 23.  Re: Error 500 - Internal Server Error in opening timesheet

Posted Apr 21, 2015 01:51 AM

I agree with Dave - "Are those negative values on the task that you have problems with - if so that might be a problem.  (With 43,000 tasks you really do need to focus on the one that is the problem, not guessing around the other ones! )"

NJ

• 24.  Re: Error 500 - Internal Server Error in opening timesheet

Posted Apr 21, 2015 02:39 PM

Recalling what has been discussed before opening a project plan in a scheduler should fix the WBS seequence. However, I should not try to open a plan with 43 000 tasks with any scheduler.

Of the bad options the Interactive Gantt in the browser could be the best of bad options. That is unless you are in v14.2 and have the new MS Projet interface working without a glitch.

• 25.  Re: Error 500 - Internal Server Error in opening timesheet

Posted Apr 23, 2015 10:40 AM

Hi,

How were the 43 thousand tasks created?  By hand, by XOG ou directly on the database (inserts and updates)?

Is really there are negative values on the PRWBSSEQUENCE field, then you may have other problems in the databse with these tasks.

Are you able to extract this project with tasks using XOG? If so, you could try on a test environment recreate this project, and check if PRWBSSEQUENCE still has negative values.

I don't know if this is the reason for your current problem, but it seems to be a problem...

Regards,

• 26.  Re: Error 500 - Internal Server Error in opening timesheet

Posted Apr 24, 2015 02:56 AM

Hi,

I really think the problem is with the negetive PRWBSSEQUENCE field. I have tested for few task and able to add the tasks with positive values in t he timesheets but whenever trying to add a task with negetive value the problem occurs.

I am unable to XOG out the project with tasks, it was running for 2 days but still not extracted. Could you please guide me how to change the value in positive or anything.

Thanks,

• 27.  Re: Error 500 - Internal Server Error in opening timesheet

Posted Apr 24, 2015 06:36 AM

"I really think the problem is with the negetive PRWBSSEQUENCE field"

Can you open the schedule in MSP / OWB and save it back to see if that corrects the task sequence ?

NJ

• 28.  Re: Error 500 - Internal Server Error in opening timesheet

Posted Apr 22, 2015 05:51 PM

In pre-13 versions SQL Trace will show the queries being run even when the action errors out / not complete. So try that too and see if you can get closer to the error

To enable -

update cmn_sec_users

set sqltrace_active = '10'

where user_name = 'admin';

Log out then back in to Clarity, nagivate to the affected area or reproduce the error (if applicable), then log out. On the Clarity application server navigate to the {InstallDir}\logs\sqltrace folder, the filename you want will start with the username, an underscore, and some numbers.

after that turn off the SQL Trace:

update cmn_sec_users

set sqltrace_active = NULL

where user_name = 'admin'

Another test you can do is what Urmas suggestion, just take that one resource off the bad task, and assign again. Although if actuals have already been posted by this resource to that task, you can't remove the resource from the task.

• 29.  Re: Error 500 - Internal Server Error in opening timesheet

Posted Apr 22, 2015 08:47 AM

Hi Guys,

I have faced a strange situation today. Suddenly the timesheets starts opening from my system then I have asked my colleagues to check whether it is opening from there system or not but it was not . Then i have logout my current session and relogin to check but it was not opening again. We have tried to open the timesheets from the same login each time from my system and my team mate's system. Really dont know what to think and how to resolve the issue

• 30.  Re: Error 500 - Internal Server Error in opening timesheet

Posted Apr 22, 2015 11:02 AM

Are you saying that in one session your time sheets started opening, but after logging out they did not any more?

If that is the case then it sounds like a stuck key or mouse button or browser function error.

If this doe not relate to the 500 error you should post the question as a new discussion to get attentition.

• 31.  Re: Error 500 - Internal Server Error in opening timesheet

Posted Apr 22, 2015 11:11 AM

...or the app service falling over (java/memory error) but app is still running.  (this is v7.5.3 - lots of "falling over" issues back then)

Restart the app, try again.

• 32.  Re: Error 500 - Internal Server Error in opening timesheet

Posted Apr 23, 2015 03:50 AM

Hello Aradhana,

As Dave and NJ stated there might be some issues with the task.

Check is there any special character in the task name or -ve value on the task

You can use the below query to get the task name with special character.

Select PRNAME from PRTASK where REGEXP_LIKE(PRNAME,'[^[:alnum:][:space:]{!()//''""#%+,-_/&}]');

Note: please check the special characters that are not giving any error in language conversion.

one more thing you can check it.

1) Change the home page of that resource to timesheet page.

2) logout from that resource and login again with that resource only.

3)Check the app log file.

Best Regards,

Lalatendu

• 33.  Re: Error 500 - Internal Server Error in opening timesheet

Posted Apr 23, 2015 05:04 AM

What I've seen before is that if there is such a non-printable  or other characterproblem with any of the fields on task properties page that page will not display without errors.

As far I can see this taks displays OK.

• 34.  Re: Error 500 - Internal Server Error in opening timesheet

Posted Apr 23, 2015 05:33 AM

Agree that non-printable characters can cause these sort of symptoms ; but if it has worked OK once then doesn't ; then thats unlikely to be a non-printable character... Aradhana really needs to narrow down the symptoms of when it happens / why it happens / what is going on with the app when it fails.

• 35.  Re: Error 500 - Internal Server Error in opening timesheet

Posted Apr 24, 2015 06:31 AM

No this is not the issue. All the PRWBSSEQUENCE field values are positive now, but the issue occures

• 36.  Re: Error 500 - Internal Server Error in opening timesheet

Posted Apr 24, 2015 09:19 AM

Hello Aradhana,

See if this link can of any use to you.

It contains the following message too:-

Looking at your image for Error Code - 501 (Not Implemented), I understand that when a certain feature has not been implemented within the CA Clarity PPM, the Error Code - 501 is what gets displayed. In our case, it is related to the XOG Client feature that has not been implemented and in some other cases, it may be related to that particular object or feature, which has not been implemented within the CA Clarity PPM.

On the contrary, Error Code - 503 (Service Unavailable) could be related to a particular CA Clarity service or feature that has been made unavailable. It may be present within the database, but, it may have been disabled by the system administrator. So, there could be a possibility that as Georgy highlighted earlier about a way to enable the XOG Client on the CA Clarity PPM v13, but, it may be possible that after enabling this feature on v13, it may have been disabled by the system administrator. Hence, the Error Code - 503.

Suhail.

• 37.  Re: Error 500 - Internal Server Error in opening timesheet

Posted Apr 24, 2015 10:54 AM

Hi NJ,

I have run a dataload yesterday night and the sequesnces are correct noe for all the 43K tasks. I have also checked for few from application. BUt facing the same problem. Unable to add any task of that project in timesheets. I have also extracted the sqltrace but the backend queried are also seems fine. No sign of error the sqltrace logs. The issue must be with the application not with the database.

Thanks

• 38.  Re: Error 500 - Internal Server Error in opening timesheet

Posted Apr 27, 2015 05:38 AM

Hi All,

I really think the problem is with the application as it is opening sometimes and sometimes not opening. When we click on Add Task in the timesheet and from the Select Task page after selecting any task if we click on 'Add and Select More', the task is added to timesheet and Select Tasks page is showing again correctly. But if we click on Add then it supposed to go back to the Timesheet and that is where the problem occures. It is not able to show this page. so i really think some problem is going on while the page is being loaded while the project is in it. There is no error in sqltrace log.

• 39.  Re: Error 500 - Internal Server Error in opening timesheet

Posted Apr 27, 2015 06:48 AM

That is starting to sound like an application maintenance performance issue. If restarting the services helps that further points to that direction.

I run occasionally to that in various version. One day errors the next day no problem at all.