Clarity

• 1.  CA PPM Tuesday Tip: Understanding Clarity PRLOCK Table

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 31, 2015 03:00 PM

Clarity uses a table named PRLOCK

PRLOCK table is used to prevent concurrent editing.  Which means that this feature restrict to have 2 or more users editing the same field on the database at the same time.

All of them are legitimate locks, and should clear when the reason why the lock

was created is cleared.

The most frequent Locks Types are: Import Export Lock , Job Scheduler Lock , Process Engine, Project Insert Lock.

a. Import Export Lock: are created when a project is opened with a

scheduler (OWB or MSP). It should be cleared when the project is saved and closed.

b. Job Scheduler Lock: are created when a job is scheduled, to prevent

concurrent job runs and race conditions, among other possible problematic situations.

c. Process Engine: locks appear when there's a process instance attached to

an object, such as an investment (projects, ideas, etc.)

d. Project Insert Lock: are created when there is a project creation or or convert an idea to project.

Sometimes, deadlocks may occur on the database, and as a result, some locks

are left behind. Usually that is the case when is an environmental disconnect (i.e. database service shutdown, deadlock) during the save operation.

This that is the case you will want to remove this lock, and the steps are the following.

You can see PRLOCK info on a clarity Unlisted page called System locks.

You can use the following example to show Unlisted page.

http://<hostname>/niku/nu#action:security.locks

tuesday.png

Then you can choose which lock do you want to clear.

Some processes cannot be removed through the UI using ‘security.locks’.

If the customer has an issue where the lock is not removed from the Unlisted page ; to gather all the details and open a support case for assistance in resolving the lock.

• 2.  Re: CA Clarity Tuesday Tip: Understanding Clarity PRLOCK table

Posted Mar 31, 2015 03:24 PM

Thanks for documenting this. Will it go to the new DocOps?

BTW "hidden"  is kinda outdated if it is public knowledge and everybody can access the page. Unlisted might describe better a page to which you cannot navigate through the OOTB menus.

• 3.  Re: CA PPM Tuesday Tip: Understanding Clarity PRLOCK Table

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 31, 2015 04:15 PM

I unfortunately think is not going in new DocOps.

Thanks for your tip. I already change the text for Unlisted.

• 4.  Re: CA PPM Tuesday Tip: Understanding Clarity PRLOCK Table

Posted Mar 31, 2015 05:47 PM

Why not, my understanding was that anybody can publish and update the contents of DocOps. Am I wrong?

• 5.  Re: CA PPM Tuesday Tip: Understanding Clarity PRLOCK Table

Posted Apr 01, 2015 07:04 AM

Thanks for sharing this

NJ

• 6.  Re: CA PPM Tuesday Tip: Understanding Clarity PRLOCK Table

Posted Apr 01, 2015 12:05 PM

Thanks for the tip Antonio!

Antonio Arenas wrote:

Clarity uses a table named PRLOCK

PRLOCK table is used to prevent concurrent editing.  Which means that this feature restrict to have 2 or more users editing the same field on the database at the same time.

All of them are legitimate locks, and should clear when the reason why the lock

was created is cleared.

The most frequent Locks Types are: Import Export Lock , Job Scheduler Lock , Process Engine, Project Insert Lock.

a. Import Export Lock: are created when a project is opened with a

scheduler (OWB or MSP). It should be cleared when the project is saved and closed.

b. Job Scheduler Lock: are created when a job is scheduled, to prevent

concurrent job runs and race conditions, among other possible problematic situations.

c. Process Engine: locks appear when there's a process instance attached to

an object, such as an investment (projects, ideas, etc.)

d. Project Insert Lock: are created when there is a project creation or or convert an idea to project.

Sometimes, deadlocks may occur on the database, and as a result, some locks

are left behind. Usually that is the case when is an environmental disconnect (i.e. database service shutdown, deadlock) during the save operation.

This that is the case you will want to remove this lock, and the steps are the following.

You can see PRLOCK info on a clarity Unlisted page called System locks.

You can use the following example to show Unlisted page.

http://<hostname>/niku/nu#action:security.locks

tuesday.png

Then you can choose which lock do you want to clear.

Some processes cannot be removed through the UI using ‘security.locks’.

If the customer has an issue where the lock is not removed from the Unlisted page ; to gather all the details and open a support case for assistance in resolving the lock.

• 7.  Re: CA PPM Tuesday Tip: Understanding Clarity PRLOCK Table

Posted Apr 01, 2015 12:16 PM

Great conversation here and since I saw #DocOps mentioned, I want to chime in. DocOps is a flexible platform, but to be clear, it has certain controls and permissions in place for who can author, update, and publish content. We have not created a CA Clarity PPM Wikipedia. We must have controls in place over things such as this.

The Clarity PPM Information Services team plans to partner with other teams at CA Technologies, and our customers, to determine what content belongs in DocOps, and what content doesn't belong in DocOps. We have just launched the platform, and I'm sure we will learn a lot along the way. The platform will grow and mature over time.

So please stay tuned for more updates.