Symantec Access Management

• 1.  Multiple SMSESSION cookies

Posted Apr 01, 2015 02:04 AM

Hello,

I found a strange behaviour by 12.51 webagent which sometimes tries to set multiple SMSESSION cookies at the same time in a domain. Can anyone explain why?

Below is the screenshot.

• 2.  Re: Multiple SMSESSION cookies

Posted Apr 01, 2015 10:45 AM

i  do  not see the domains there.

is there a chance one is .server.company.com and the other is .company.com?

• 3.  Re: Multiple SMSESSION cookies

Posted Apr 01, 2015 12:33 PM

kkavulur

Have you tried using some other tool to verify this other than TamperData. I have encountered other issues with Tamper Data in testing phases.

Use some tools like IEHTTPHeader with IE Browser & check this.

IEHTTPHeaders Download Link : Jonas Blunck

Regards

Hubert

• 4.  Re: Multiple SMSESSION cookies

Posted Apr 01, 2015 08:16 PM

Just as Josh recommended.

Here's a Tech note when you may possibily see multiple cookies.

http://www.ca.com/us/support/ca-support-online/product-content/knowledgebase-articles/tec529283.aspx

Check your cookie domains and the FQDN that is being accessed.

Regards

Hubert

• 5.  Re: Multiple SMSESSION cookies

Posted Apr 06, 2015 11:40 AM

Also missing is "Direction" of the Cookies.  Cookies are 'Sent' and 'Received'.  We use the tool HTTP Watch.

• 6.  Re: Multiple SMSESSION cookies

Posted Jun 05, 2015 12:47 PM

Seeing a similar issue, did you figure out what the issue was?

issue.png

• 7.  Re: Multiple SMSESSION cookies

Posted Jun 05, 2015 01:14 PM

Adding some details...

1. We have SSO with another domain facilitated by a cookie provider.  When logging into the other domain first (primary.com) then clicking a link from primary.com to the secondary domain (secondary.com), we are able to access resources on secondary.com server a until we make a call to secondary.com server b.  We use TAI to enable communication between server a and server b.  When we make a call to server b we receive two SMSESSION cookies as the image shows above for the secondary.com domain.  One is persistent, one is transient.

2. Taking primary.com out of the picture entirely, if I call secondary.com and server b behind secondary.com, I see what is shown in the screenshot as well.

3.  If I shut down server b on secondary.com and don't authenticate to primary.com, and call a garbage url (secondary.com/contextroot/garbage.html) I only receive the single transient cookie.

For scenario 1, the real issue is that when we get two SMSESSION cookies back IE doesn't send either one when server a behind secondary.com is called, resulting in a prompt for the user to login when the cookie provider determines it doesn't know who they are.

• 8.  Re: Multiple SMSESSION cookies

Posted Jun 09, 2015 12:37 PM

waywardz,

only one should be presented at a time. it could be cross domain sso somehow  telling each domain they can trust one another.

if you conrtol both,  try settting smzones... maybe abc as one zone and xyz as the other and setting up a cross zone trust

SSOZoneName  and SSOTrustedZone

Security Zones for Single Sign-on - CA SiteMinder® - 12.52 SP1 - CA Wiki

that  should help.

however  i  still do not  see the  domain  of the smsession. really you should only hit  this  if you have .xyz.com and .abc.xyz.com

which means you need to fix your configuration.

• 9.  Re: Multiple SMSESSION cookies

Posted Jun 09, 2015 02:58 PM

The domains are identical for the SMSESSION cookies as reported by fiddler.  I am replacing the actual domain with the word "mydomain".

SMSESSION 1 domain: .mydomain.com

SMSESSION 2 domain: .mydomain.com

There are no subdomains on either SMSESSION identifier.

• 10.  Re: Multiple SMSESSION cookies

Posted Jun 09, 2015 03:08 PM

never seen that before.

what in your set up can sent the set cookie directive?

• 11.  Re: Multiple SMSESSION cookies

Posted Jun 12, 2015 10:42 AM

Issue is resolved, mostly.  Looks like the ACO for TAI was misconfigured for secondary.com server b and it was setting persistent cookies, while the rest of the app was dealing in transient cookies.  IE has an issue with this apparently, when it received both persistent and transient set-cookie directives for the same name with the same domain, it freaked out and sent nothing.  We did test that adding both primary and secondary to trusted sites appeared to to also resolve the issue for the single user, so we are assuming something about IE decided it was a security risk to send cookies when the situation occurred.  Weird situation!

We corrected the ACO configuration and we still get two SMSESSION cookies, so that's still not idea, but at least IE is sending them back now and SSO seems fine.