CA Client Automation

• 1.  Delete Custom Iventory Nodes from DSM Explorer

Posted Apr 09, 2015 09:47 AM

Hi guys.

I use custom inventory extensively by creating .MIF files at the agent. I do not use template inventory. At times, I'd like to remove this custom inventory so  I create a job to run at all agents and delete the those .MIF/.MNV files. This prevents further updates of said inventory. However, how do I get rid of that actual custom inventory node from all assets in DSM explorer? I can delete by visiting each node and right clicking the custom inventory and hitting delete but this is impractical.

• 2.  Re: Delete Custom Iventory Nodes from DSM Explorer

Posted Apr 09, 2015 10:06 AM

As far as I know all you have to do is delete the item and tree tables created for each custom inventory module. For each custom inventory module, the system will create two tables: inv_

• 3.  Re: Delete Custom Iventory Nodes from DSM Explorer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 09, 2015 11:29 AM

Custom Inventory tables are also ca_itrm tables and you should also remove the entry from the inv_table_map, just in case you need to create them again.

• 4.  Re: Delete Custom Iventory Nodes from DSM Explorer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 15, 2015 05:32 AM

Hi Shocko

do you need anything more on this?

Rich

• 5.  Re: Delete Custom Iventory Nodes from DSM Explorer

Posted Apr 15, 2015 05:38 AM

I guess I'm a little scared of deleting these tables directly form the DB:) Might have test in my lab firstly.

• 6.  Re: Delete Custom Iventory Nodes from DSM Explorer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 15, 2015 05:43 AM

makes sense. If you get stuck I would recommend logging a support case

• 7.  Re: Delete Custom Iventory Nodes from DSM Explorer

Posted Apr 24, 2015 10:22 AM

Logged with support so I'll revert here with findings.

• 8.  Re: Delete Custom Iventory Nodes from DSM Explorer
    Best Answer

Posted May 01, 2015 05:44 AM

Logged a call and the solution was as follows:

NB: Remember to backup your DB in full before doing this as it's at your own risk!!

1. Lookup the component_name_id for the inventory node you need in inv_table_map table. The component_name column should map to what you see in DSM explorer
    2. Use this component_name_id to rmeove the link for that inventory form inv_root_map

Essenitally that removes it from the Inventory tree in DSM explorer but still leaves 2 tables for each custom inventory behind and orphaned in the DB. Finally you can rmeove data or drop these tbales

• ca_itrm.inv_<component_name>_tree
    • ca_itrm.inv_<component_name>_item

Where component_name is the name of the custom inventory located in 1 above.