AutoSys Workload Automation

CA Workload Automation Autosys Edition Office Hours Transcript (Apr. 9th)

• 1.  CA Workload Automation Autosys Edition Office Hours Transcript (Apr. 9th)

Posted Apr 09, 2015 11:28 AM

Chandrasekhar Karamsetty :

Hi Lee, Could you please help with meeting bridge number.  So, we can join. look like my web-application not allowing to use the inbuilt audio. Thanks

Pavel :

hi there,

Lee Peterson (CA) :

@Chandrasekhar  - sorry, there is no audio.  Its just us and the keyboard for now.

Chris Kent :

Hello, I would like to ask about using the virtual machine definitions.  According to the documentation, the scheduler runs a calculation on each real machine through a CPU calculation.  Is that calculation supposed to appear on every job, or just on certain jobs?

Lee Peterson (CA) :

@Pavel  Welcome

Pavel :

what are the plans for next release of r11.3.6 ?

Chris Kent :

This is for load balancing

What is the road map for AutoSys R11?

R12*?

Pavel :

what "Ideas" were accepted for development in Q1 2015?

Chris Trinidad :

Hello - will there be a separate Agent Management tab integrated with WCC 11.4 ?

Lee Peterson (CA) :

@Chris Kent  -  Hi Chris.  Your question would apply, more or less, to autosys virtuals.  A virtual container (called a virtual machine) would consist of several physical or real machine definitions.  Jobs are defined to run "on" the virtual machine, which would then use cpu to evaluate the best agent for execution

Mark Warren (CA) :

@Pavel, Good to see you made it... The largest item is for AutoSys to become a true 64 bit application (r12). In the meantime you will see enahncements for Hadoop and SAP.

Lee Peterson (CA) :

@ Chris Kent  - so in the situation described, the agent runs a constant poll of cpu load, and submits this at job run time for the scheduler to evaluate the best host

Chris Kent :

@Lee - Correct, I see the calculation on the event demon on some jobs, but not all.  Is this common?

jon hill :

We're planning to upgrade.  Is 11.3.6 SP1 considered a stable release or should we stick with 11.3.6 RTM?  Are there any patches we should install?

Harvey Canter :

Will WLA AE ever support CentOS?

Lee Peterson (CA) :

@Chris Kent - you may only be seeing it for jobs associated with the virtual.

Steve C. :

is there a dial in ?

Chris Kent :

@Lee - thank you

Lenn Thompson - CA :

@Steve C There isn't a dial in for these sessions. Please ask your questions here and we'll answer them here as well.

Lee Peterson (CA) :

@Harvey Center  -  We have no plans for CentOS at this time, sorry.

Mark Warren (CA) :

@Chris Trinidad, As far as CAM it is being developed as we speak and the goal is to provide a tab and Web application for those not using WCC.

Steve C. :

so since DARs are out of the picture. How about a one click feature to create the community idea  our ticket

Chris Kent :

Question about Solution Manager integration.  Has that been a popular product add on?

@Lee : When can we expect the AutoSys agent for AWS, VM , SAP HANA , Tibco like other WA products control-M ?

Lee Peterson (CA) :

@Chris Kent - to further expound.  The load eval you are seeing comes into play when you employ load balancing with the following:  Job attributes of piroity, and job_load, and the machines are defined in the "machine" attribute as a string of several machines, or the use of an AutoSys virtual as I mentioned earlier

Chris Kent :

@Lee - Ok, that clears some confusion I had.  Thanks

Lee Peterson (CA) :

@Steve C.  - sorry, this is a text only affair

Lee Peterson (CA) :

@Chris Kent - my pleasure, glad to help

Steve C. :

@Lee thats fine. so my question stands.. since Dars will not be revisited. the CA support should have a one click feature. or the supoort person opens the idea based on our open ticket.

Mark Warren (CA) :

@Steve C., This is a great idea and I will submit to our corporate team and update you via email.

Steve C. :

Also I think it is essential that all jobtypes. have a facility to use profile and global variables in the key attributes. i know this is on going but some have been missed. anything missed should be a bug fix not an enhancement

Mark Warren (CA) :

@Chandrasekhar Karamsetty, SAP and HANA with in the year. AWS, VM and Tibco are under consideration but no confirmed date

Lee Peterson (CA) :

@Steve C.  - please let me defer to Mark Warren (CA)

jon hill :

Here's an easy one:  on_ice triggers children; off_hold triggers children under certain circumstances.  Will moving a job to or  no_exec status trigger children?

Mark Warren (CA) :

@Steve C., I agree with you. Anytime you have an issue as such please reach out to me and I will be glad to work with you. mark.warren@ca.com (Sr. Director Product Management)..

Steve C. :

@Mark Thank you

Lee Peterson (CA) :

@jon hill  - off_hold does, let me test really quick for you to make sure about no_exec - 1 moment

Steve C. :

@jon it shouldnt trugger anything. noexec. is a skip

Mark Warren (CA) :

@Chris Kent, It is quite popular and we are working with several comanies at this time. If you have a few minutes will be gald to talk with you offline? mark.warren@ca.com

venkatesh Kannan :

We are not able to use sysdate or any dynamic paramteres in DB PROC job with out modifying the job every time

Chris Kent :

@Mark Warren (CA) - Thank you, I will let you know.

Steve C. :

SQL commands should allow an oracl file. oneline is not suitable for complex queries

Steve C. :

or sybase file etc.

jon hill :

Any chance that global variables will be allowed in the ftp filename fields in the nearish future?  This is a pain point for us.

Nitin Pande (CA)y (CA) :

@kannan - I will look into it and get back to you. Can you please me an email at nitin.pandey@ca.com

Lee Peterson (CA) :

@jon hill  -  I created a box with children, one of which had a condition on the success of another job.  When the job was noexec, the status was "NE"  after the parent box went to succes, the job was taken off_noexec, and the result is the job goes to "IN" (inactive)

Lee Peterson (CA) :

@jon hill - so in contrast with OFF_HOLD, JOB_OFF_NOEXEC will result in the job, and any children of this job, will go to inactive when OFF_NOEXEC is issued.

@ Lee: Does the R11.36 is certified with Redhat Linux 7 ?

Mark Warren (CA) :

@Steve C, So basically instead  of inputing the SQL commands, use a file as input correct?

Chris Kent :

We are planning on going to R11.3.6 later this year.  We are going to re-tool our environment.  Is it CA best practice for this version to have dual-event servers, or use database tools and other methods to have persistent database connectivity?

Steve C. :

correct

jon hill :

@Lee - if you force_start the box does the job go back to NE?  Or is NE behaving like an override?

Lee Peterson (CA) :

@Chandrasekhar  11.3.6 is not but the 64-bit agent is

ok

Lee Peterson (CA) :

@jon hill  -  while the child sits in NE, the result of a force_startjob on the parent is an NE status.  So NE is essentially indicating "ignore me and my children"  - the box will go to success, presuming the remaining children that are NOT in the NE status go to success

Steve C. :

@Mark Warren (CA) - correct a file. also the global variable doesnt work so well for the command strong. globals only go to 8- characters, that needs to change. also in some places ittreats the GVAR as a literal

Lee Peterson (CA) :

@jon hill - hope that answers your question, but let me know if I can clarify anything

Mark Warren (CA) :

@Chris Kent, What we have seen with customers they have chosen to use the database tools since that is where most expertise resides.

sathish :

Hi, oracle stored procedure job doesnt have any spool/output file attribute. so if the job goes to success where to see the log of it.

Chris Kent :

@Mark Warren (CA) - Thank you.  Also - will there be another planned SP for 11.3.6 before the EOY?

Mark Warren (CA) :

@Steve C, Could you possible mail me your example/use and let us take a look at it?

Steve C. :

I agree with Satish. dbrpoc needs a destination file. its all in spool

Lee Peterson (CA) :

@sathish  - you are correct on the DBPROC, but you may use the SQL job type and specify output, simply execute your SP via SQL job_type  - does that make sense?

jon hill :

@Lee - thanks, this is helpful, but let me simplify by getting rid of the box.  JobC depends on JobB depends on JobA (A is the grandparent).  Run JobA; B & C should run.  Set B to NE; nothing happens to C.  Run A; B will not run and C will run, right?  Set B to off_noexec; B and C go to IN.  Run A; all jobs run to success.  Do I have that right?

Steve C. :

@mark sure

Harvey Canter :

Ever consider making the DataMover app go  Oracle to SQL Server? I have client that wish to go that direction and keep all the job information  Oracle  the previous version.

Lee Peterson (CA) :

@jon hill - sure, let me digest your question for a second - will respond in a sec

@ Lee : This would little strange question. I apologize if this not right forum. Other WA tools like stonebranch has wider vision as per gartner , EMA radar report on WLA & Colud areas. What  is the stratgey of CA to provide quick WLA solution for Medium, Low entrprises . ?

Nitin Pande (CA)y (CA) :

@Harvey - we have event coming up 21th April about "CA AE 11.3.6 SP1 New Features and Migration Assistant". Please attend the same

Nitin Pande (CA)y (CA) :

https://catechnologies.webex.com/catechnologies/onstage/g.php?d=740044129&t=a

Mark Warren (CA) :

@Chris Kent, Yes we will have another SP (approx. mid yr)

Chris Kent :

@Mark - has SP1 been pretty stable or will the new SP address any serious issues?

Steve C. :

@Maek sent you my idea

Mark Warren (CA) :

@Chris Kent, No issues to date..

Steve C. :

big reason for file is that in case you want to turn header off etc

sathish :

@lee, i havent tried using SQL job let me give a try

Chris Kent :

@Mark - thank you

Steve C. :

or have output formated a certain way

Mark Warren (CA) :

@Steve C. Thanks I will reach out to you later this week

Steve C. :

@Mark . sent  my non work email. let me know you got it

Mark Warren (CA) :

@Steve, Got it (v..net) account

venkatesh Kannan :

Can we use profiles for new job types like DBPROC

Steve C. :

someone asked about FTP using variaables. That goes inline with what i asked. that all should be able to use profile and GVARS

Steve C. :

@mark. correct tnanx

Lee Peterson (CA) :

@jon hill

Lee Peterson (CA) :

You said: Lee - thanks, this is helpful, but let me simplify by getting rid of the box.  JobC depends on JobB depends on JobA (A is the grandparent).  Run JobA; B & C should run.  Set B to NE; nothing happens to C.  Run A; B will not run and C will run, right?

Correct - A and C will run in this scenario

Set B to off_noexec; B and C go to IN.

Incorrect -  B will go to IN, and C will remain in its prior status "SU"

Run A; all jobs run to success.  Do I have that right

Correct - after the OFF_NOEXEC is issued, and then A is started, all will go to "SU"

Harvey Canter :

@Nitin thanks

Lee Peterson (CA) :

@sathish - excellent, I think you'll be pleased with the result

jon hill :

@Lee - great!

Nitin Pande (CA)y (CA) :

@jon hil - I see ftp_local_name and FTP_remote_name support as global variable

Lenn Thompson - CA :

Are there any other questions for our AE team?

@ Lee /Nithin : This would little strange question. I apologize if this not right forum. Other WA tools like stonebranch has wider vision as per gartner , EMA radar report on WLA & Colud areas. What  is the stratgey of CA to provide quick WLA solution for Medium, Low entrprises .

Pavel :

here is old question: how to ensure that timezones definitions in autosys db is up to date?

Steve C. :

@Pavel - 20 years old of a question

Steve C. :

;-)

Mark Warren (CA) :

@Chandrasekhar Karamsetty, if you could share with me your information in a mail I would be more than happy to discuss this with you.

Mark Warren (CA) :

@Chandrasekhar Karamsetty - mark.warren@ca.com

Pavel :

I mean - can CA publish insert statements for timezones table on regular basis?

jon hill :

@Lenn:  My original question near the top about the current release.  I see later in the thread that 11.3.6 SP1 is considered stable.  Are there any recommended patches/hotfixes that should be applied (I saw something not too long ago about heartbleed, e.g., but not sure if SP1 addressed).  Also, I believe there's a compatibility issue between 11.3.6 SP1 WAAE and 11.3.6 EEM and/or WCC that a patch is available for.

Mark Warren (CA) :

@Pavel, Please reach out or I can call you?

Pavel :

@mark - sure, 212-276-8479 pavelv@ms.com

jon hill :

@Nitin - thanks, maybe the pain is because we're still a rev behind.  Will take another look at the 11.3.6 PDF.

Lee Peterson (CA) :

@jon hill  - WAAE 11.3.6sp1  +  EEM 12.51.2.11  + WCC 11.3.6 inc3 (with patches)  or WCC 11.4    < this is the most stable offering at this time, with all fixes cited in the release notes.  Does this answer your question?

Nitin Pande (CA)y (CA) :

@Jon hill - AE user guide will help. Thanks

sathish :

@Lee:Does the on_ice behaviour changed? Because NE is  now behaving similar to OI and now i am confused where to use ON_ICE?

jon hill :

@Lee:  great!  We'll get started on this soon.

Lee Peterson (CA) :

@santish -  The premise of NOEXECUTE  is to give "bypass" behavior, and give the behavior as though the job went to success.  ON_ICE simply taken out of the equation, and downstream jobs will not be triggered based on condition (cause ON_ICE will not look as though it has gone to success like NOEXEC does)  - does this make sense?  You are correct in noting that ON_ICE behavior was different in the predecessor release of AutoSys, hence the need for NOEXEC.

jon hill :

@Lee:  are you saying that OI behavior has changed in 11.3.6?  Or just that OI behavior is different  NE behavior?  Just clarifying.

Lee Peterson (CA) :

@jon hill  - glad to be of assistance

Lee Peterson (CA) :

OI is different  NE  - NE gives downstream jobs a "success" condition, as though it actually ran, and OI does not.  I know OI was slightly differerent in 4.5.x than in 11.3.6

Lenn Thompson - CA :

@Everyone. Just a reminder that we only have ae have about 2 minutes left in this session.

jon hill :

@sathish:  Speaking just as a customer, I can say that the pain of OI is that sending a job on ice immediately triggers  that job's children.  Based on the doc and on the responses today, it appears that NE does not do that.

Lee Peterson (CA) :

@santhish & @ jon hill    -  Its the opposite actually - please contact me, we'll talk more.  petle02@ca.com

Lee Peterson (CA) :

Essentially the OI is not going to consistently act as though it has run, while a NE will behave as thought its run - a perpetual success cycle as opposed to OI

Steve C. :

@Mark for WCC i feel thatt ECLI should pass through app server and not need to login . The user's authorization to do autosys commands per the filter file should be the mitigating criteria not that the user can login to that machine

Lee Peterson (CA) :

Again, in case wordwrap messed up my email  <mailto: petle02@ca.com>

sathish :

@Lee Thank you sure i will contact. this work can be done by on-Hold. just i want to know what is on_ice specality in it??

Steve C. :

ECLI comes in handy for the information that WCC doesnt give. machine online offline.. autosys_secure filtered to only allow id password update .. etc.. having to set up AD/LDAP and user login to the appserver is antiquested

Lenn Thompson - CA :

Okay, everyone. We're past the top of the hour. If you have any further questions, please post them out in the CA Workload Automation Community.