AutoSys Workload Automation

• 1.  WLA-AE Support for SQL Server 2012 (SQLAlwaysON)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 14, 2015 11:56 PM

Hi All,

One of our partners is planning to propose MS SQL AlwaysOn HA using MS SQL 2012 Enterprise edition  for our Workload Automation AE Solution for all the components of AE.

It would be great help if someone can confirm the support for the same.

regards

Sachin

• 2.  Re: WLA-AE Support for SQL Server 2012 (SQLAlwaysON)

Posted Apr 15, 2015 04:10 AM

Hi Sachin,

As you very likely know, WA AE supports using one database, or two databases concurrently in a 'live-live' mode.  The use of AlwaysOn Availability Groups in MS SQL is a method for providing failover capability for the database, external to WA AE (AutoSys)..

I think it is unlikely you will get any official CA confirmation of support of AlwaysOn by AutoSys, because it is a database redundancy method that is external to AutoSys.  AutoSys just needs to be able to resolve the name of, and connect to, its database.  It would be a good idea to ask the partner about how long a failvoer takes and in the event of a failover, if the secondary database is guaranteed to be fully up to date.

Hopefully there are also other customers that can reply with their experiences of AlwaysOn.

• 3.  Re: WLA-AE Support for SQL Server 2012 (SQLAlwaysON)

Posted Apr 15, 2015 08:24 AM

As Anthony said this is why dataguard etc are not 100% good options. as many will attest a second can be a very long time in autosys.Is always on M$'s RAC/Dataguard? if so, not a great idea...

I have never been a fan of M$ being a production service whether server or database.

anything that needs to be rebooted after an update is a bad idea.

just my 3 cents

Steve C.

• 4.  Re: WLA-AE Support for SQL Server 2012 (SQLAlwaysON)

Broadcom Employee
    Posted May 21, 2015 05:32 AM

A similar question has come up for CA Service Desk Manager.

https://communities.ca.com/message/241757753#241757753